Sleeving Crack Cylinder- Popular Hot Rodding

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased a 26' Reinell Express Cruiser that had twin Iron Duke 2.5 liter mercruisers and one needed overhauled. I found a cracked cyl. due to the previous owner running it without a t-stat. He ran it hard then shut it off, fired it right back up and cracked the cyl. I pulled the engine and took it to the machine shop. They put a sleve in it and I ran that ship HARD! 4500 rpm's, 32 mph, multiple hour cruises to the San Juan Islands via Deception Pass. I was amazed at it's performance, economy and reliability. I put over 500 hrs. with no problems with that engine. The outdives and other engine is a diffrent story. The two happiest days of a boater is the day he buys it and the day he sells it! I do have some phenomenal memories of the good times on "Three Hour Tour".

I had a 302 built for my bronco close to 14 years ago and it had a sleeve in it and is still running like a top. I beat the snot out of that bronco all thru college and many muddy nights! Never failed me once. I still stay in touch with the new owners and they haven't had any issues with it either. Although they do take much better care of it than I did. Only goes to the shows now. If they ever sell it I have first dibs. Would love to have that thing back again. But anyhow. A sleeved motor isn't something to be scared of if it's done properly.

Back