Smoking voltage regulator

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to add one thing. I noticed something would click when I turned the key to the ON position with the mechanical regulator. After installing the electronic regulator, I turn the key and there is no click.

A garage, basic tools, too much money, a year of work but mostly love for what was once my dream car.

Every now and then I would visit the forum and see what others love for their cars would help them accomplish and I was motivated to get back in the garage. To those who have helped and those who have inspired, many thanks.

20150401_112036-1.jpg

20160705_222444.jpg

A garage, basic tools, too much money, a year of work but mostly love for what was once my dream car.

Every now and then I would visit the forum and see what others love for their cars would help them accomplish and I was motivated to get back in the garage. To those who have helped and those who have inspired, many thanks.
Nice work! Plenty of inspiration here.

One more thing, the regulator says it's made in America which makes me think it's a genuine motorcraft. Has anyone had a bad experience with these? Are they really motorcraft or good counterfeits? How cam I tell the difference? Once again, thank you everyone

Yes, they are garbage.

they are reproduced by somebody that bought the rights to put a license on the decal for lid that is all. they are complete junk.

the modern replacement ford service part is a solid state regulator.

the original regulators are mechanical with a kind of points.

watch video

I watched the video and understand what he is saying about some reproduction parts being junk.

The question I have is why do they have that particular part on their website in the first place?

I didnt understand showing a particular VR and then saying crappy part, buy the other one we stock.

Is that an educational thing ( it educated me anyway ) since I cant imagine they would take up stock space by actually selling it.

Also, on the replacement VR, you have to drill out the rivets, then attach the new cover somehow.

Why doesnt someone sell a reliable electronic VR with the cover already replaced?

Thanks

They stock it for people that are trying to maintain an original appearance, not for "drivers". There was a forum discussion a couple of weeks ago about riveting and where to get them.

Q: The question I have is why do they have that particular part on their website in the first place?

A:Because the concourse guys want them, concourse guys basically never drive the car.

only one company makes those VRs they just put different covers on them depending on year and model.

Q: Why doesn't someone sell a reliable electronic VR with the cover already replaced?

A: been asking this for years. it is really annoying having the cover then having to open up a good VR just for the rivets.

years ago i took the chance on these VRs you figure made in the USA official license it must be good right.

there is just SO much JUNK! on the reproduction market. i went through hell on my car since its is mostly made in china now.

people with the original tooling set out to produce a top quality part but you just can't get anywhere near OEM quality unless you do everything in house and have all the injection equipment so they outsource to china since nobody would pay 400$ for a floor shiftier that matches OEM quality they want the 35$ replacement.

everyone is in the same boat in manufacturing, offer 2 parts 400$ and 35$ tell them the 400$ is OEM match, people will still buy the 35$ that breaks every 24 hours. you get stuck with 10 400$ parts for 20 years you can't sell, but you sold 5000 units of the 35$ with no end in sight.

For those who get the monthly MM magazine as a member, I saw an add in the latest edition stating they were now selling the combined electronic and old school cover VR. Believe it was Mustangs Unlimited, but some one will have to confirm on the road at the moment..,

if it is the same combo MM sold years ago then you will still need to remove the rivets on the new VR and replace the cover.

it was a 25$ regulator and they give you the cover and a gasket for 20$ then you have to swap the covers... it is a pain and i also felt you compromised the water seal on the new VR. If you want to actaully drive the car,, leave the concourse VR at home and run a modern one. it is 2 bolts and a connector to swap them,,, just like going electronic ignition from points.

Well I guess they sell the bad stuff to, as your all said. The only way to change this, is they all says no! I'm not a fan of the bad stuff from China! But it is only the company's there can change it! But I guess they have a huge amount of hard work! Because they shall check and check what they are doing all the time 😟 Because they will always take the bad metal first! Have talked with one who has been working in China as a controller for a Danish company! They got tired of being over there! Because when you just are there and showed them what to do. They just stopped working all of them! Went out to smoke and have lunch for 2 ours! Then they returned to work! But as he was going to explain to them again. That they have taken bad metal back in site! They got so angry at him! He just got so frustrated [FACE WITH LOOK OF TRIUMPH] That he went back to Denmark! [FACE WITH LOOK OF TRIUMPH][sMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] Regards Lars

Sendt fra min E2303 med Tapatalk

The "New" voltage regulator is in the "Just In" section of this months Mustang Times. The claim is that it has the housing with the Autolite/Motorcraft stamping with the electronic internals. Other years, colors, and stampings are also supposed to be available. Virginia Classic Mustang is the vender listed in the article. Don't know if this is a unique offering from them or if others carry the same product. It does go on to say that it includes he correct screws to attach the cover. (My Ford unit has rivets) Another choice would to be the Ford FOPZ-10316-A (Motorcraft GR-540-B) By the late 80's Ford had replaced all of the mechanical regulators with the electronic unit. You can search some previous posts where jpaz found some split rivits so he could use the cover off of one of the junk repo units on a electronic regulator. Agree the repo units are only good for Concours since they seem to get pushed in and out of the car shows I've been to!

Update on the Mach 1. Everything was connected and after replacing my new fancy high torque starter that refused to even turn, I started her up and she sounds great. The electronic regulator looks great and so far it does its job. The engine will be tuned in the next few days and the only things left before hitting the road are a few rust repair patches welded in, satin black paint and assembly. Hopefully there are very few bugs, if any and I can enjoy some spirited driving after break in.

Update on the Mach 1. Everything was connected and after replacing my new fancy high torque starter that refused to even turn, I started her up and she sounds great. The electronic regulator looks great and so far it does its job. The engine will be tuned in the next few days and the only things left before hitting the road are a few rust repair patches welded in, satin black paint and assembly. Hopefully there are very few bugs, if any and I can enjoy some spirited driving after break in.
Good news!

Back