So is this gold glow? help me settle this once and for all

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stangace20

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 351C Gold Glow
1991 LX 5.0 Hatchback
OK so the car's original color was gold glow metallic, and while we had the paint guy to match the original color, we somehow got the idea that it was medium yellow gold or something. And though the paint is metallic it seems to be to slightly to bright/not brown enough for GGM but not bright/yellow enough to be MYG.

And since the colors seem to vary on the internet and I've never seen another GGM or MYG mustang in person to compare it to I've always been a little confused on what it is.

So I want some help on this, I've tried and compare to a few GGM cars on here, and a MYG one I found on the internet and see what everyone thinks, cause I just want to help settle this once and for all.

A few GGM machs owned by other members on here

IMG_1137.jpg

GetAttachment9.aspx.jpg

apparent MYG Mustangs I found online

1972_00011_05.jpg

1972_00011_04.jpg

1973_00023_01.jpg

mine

IMG_2582.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

One Members' GG mustang at dusk

attachment.php

mine at dusk (though maybe not as late)

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
As you said it's hard to compare colors on the internet. Each camera may give each car a slightly different shade. The convert and one of the Mach 1's do look a little lighter.

yeah, I'd like to think that if that 1st mach w/ the dog wasn't so worn it would be the same color as mine, it looks pretty close, but of course dull paint, certain light conditions,RGB only displays on computers, and a certain cameras settings can do a lot to change how we see it

Yes, your car looks like gold glow to me.:D Mine is gold glow and looks very different at different times of the day, or in shade. The other pictures you posted look like medium gold to me.:p

Hi Stangace 20,

I hope i can be of some help with your Gold Glow paint problem.

As you may or may not know, i own a '73 Gold Glow Metallic (Paint Code 6F) Convertible here in Australia,and I am a pro auto spraypainter with 36 years background in the trade.

To start with, what the other forum members have said already holds true.

You said in your post (and i hope i'm correct here) that you have identified your Mustang as being a Gold Glow Origiinal '6F' coded vehicle, (look at your door sticker or Marti Report) and you still have some of the 'ORIGINAL' mono enamel paint in good condition still on the car, and your painter has gone to the trouble of carefully color matching by eye to this original color on your car. (by the way,a little trivia, we spell the word color, colour here in Australia)

Given the fact that this original paint would have faded to some degree over the years (depending on how much your car was left out in the sun over the years and exposed to UV rays from the sun), a good color eye mach to the original paint on your car, will be your best way of getting your Gold Glow color that you are chasing.If you have not got any original paint left on your car to go by,try your best to find another Gold Glow owner with original paint still on their Mustang within reasonable travel distance to you, and see if they can be of help.

I am going through this similar process myself at the moment. I want to respray my Mustang even though it still has 90% of the original

Gold Glow paint still on the car and is in very good condition.(I do have my reasons to justify doing this). After spending a lot of time and doing a lot of reserch, that was the way i went in the end myself.

I ended up eye matching to the original color on the car, got a very close match, and was happy with that end result,(spent around 20 hours in total eye matching the color until i was happy with it) and here's why.............

Any photos you see on the net or in real life, vary, and wont be accurate as they should for many reasons, computers and moniters vary,and are not accutate in their own right as well, when our cars were made, large paint batches 'color varied' slightly over the manufacturing process,fading over the years is another issue,cutting and polishing the original Mono Metallic paint finish over the years takes it's toll on affecting the color as well, and even thought in America and Australia i believe a customer can still buy Gold Glow Basecoat over the counter that has been made up to an 'official proper formula', i question how accurate these colors are to the original paint on the '71-'73 Mustangs.(My feedback is some folks yes, some folks no).The color chips you see online or anywhere are old, faded, done in inks, vary, and are not accurate. And lastly, Spectro matching cameras are accurate to a degree, but my experience is that a painter will still have to eye match and 'throw' the color to 'close match' what color you wanted to match to in the first place, after using the camera. All that i have said so far would also ring true to all '71 -'73 Mustang colors as well.

In the end,when all is said and done, i believe eye color matching from the original mono enamel paint that is on a vehicle in good condition, is anyone's best way of achieving the most accurate color for the Mustangs.

If there are any pro painters as forum members, they might like to throw in their opinions or ideas as well as mine. (even criticise mine maybe).

Anyway, hope all that was of some help to you in achieving your quest for the real Gold Glow Color. Give me a yell if you have any other questions for me.

Regards, Austin:)

glad everyone seems pretty unanimous on it, makes me feel a bit better about it.

And yes the car originally was 6F, though when we got it the last owner had given it a super crappy maaco red paint job, though when we were dismantling it we found some spots inside the wheel wells and engine bay that still had the original paint, so we basically had the paint guy match those.

So there's a possibility that he may have missed that the paint was a bit faded or something, but either way I just wanted second opinions on what to say it was. So I guess "Gold Glow Metallic" is officially going on my updated display poster then,lol

thanks everyone

glad everyone seems pretty unanimous on it, makes me feel a bit better about it.

And yes the car originally was 6F, though when we got it the last owner had given it a super crappy maaco red paint job, though when we were dismantling it we found some spots inside the wheel wells and engine bay that still had the original paint, so we basically had the paint guy match those.

So there's a possibility that he may have missed that the paint was a bit faded or something, but either way I just wanted second opinions on what to say it was. So I guess "Gold Glow Metallic" is officially going on my updated display poster then,lol

thanks everyone
Hi Stangace20,

Thanks for your reply.

Given the fact that your painter tried to match the color from inside wheel wells and spots in the engine bay, it must be understood that is not an accurate way to match the color. I explained to you before,that you have to find an original outside painted panel in good original condition to get an accurate eye match. Sorry if i did not make that plain enough in my color matching description.

At the end of the day, i don't know how fussy you are to achieve an accurate color match or how much you care about having the best possible Gold Glow accurate color.

Looking at your photos, yes, i would say your car falls into the catagory of the dozens of so called 'Gold Glow Family' of colors that are out there (and boy, have i seen lots of variations), but to it's accuracy, you could not be sure.

However, if your happy enough to call your color Gold Glow, so be it.

So yeah man! Sure looks like Gold Glow to me too!

By the way, your Mustang looks really great in the photos.

Good luck and all the best,

Austin.:)

Pictures #2,3 & 4 are "medium yellow gold" a no-extra-cost non-metallic color. The rest are "Gold Glow", an extra-cost metallic color. In person, they look nothing alike.

Back