Soliciting thoughts on changing paint color

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, black is beautiful when done right. But I gotta agree with HK, yellow is extra-ordinary... especially when paired with the contrast of a car with black striping, a black top and black interior. It's hard to beat that combination IMHO.
Yes, I agree, the Medium Bright Yellow and Black on a vert with a Black roof is outstanding ! The color especially lends itself to a convertible, probably because there is less of it, and it's a case of less is more. On the Medium Bright Yellow 73 Mach 1 I had there was a lot of yellow, because that year the Mach's didn't have the lowers in Black like they did on the 71-72's. I think the fact that the OP's car has the decor package, it will look best in Medium Bright Yellow.
The wife and I are looking forward to putting a black cloth roof on our 72 Medium yellow Gold Vert with decor package.

I have yet to see any First Generation Mustang that had a color I did not like. That said, I have never seen one in deep purple - that would likely be a bit over the top. I have owned several Mustangs, Shelbys, and a Cougar with colors that include Candyapple Red (1969), Champagne Gold (1969), Gold Mist (1973), Saddle Bronze Metallic repainted in PPG Sunset Orange & Hot Rod Black Matte (1973), Champagne Metallic (1978), and Oxford White (2020).

For the 1973 Mach 1, I never saw it with its original Saddle Bronze Metallic color, I first saw after the prior owner changed it to Valspar Sunset (orange). When we had it deeply restored we repainted it in a similar color, but a slightly deeper hue, using PPG Sunset Orange, a fine grain metallic. For the black surfaces we used PPF Hot Rod Black Matte, which has a smooth surface, yet still disperses light similar to a flat finish. I have seen other nice Mustangs also painted in an Orange color. But, I have not seen any in the same kind of metallic orange we have. It definitely turns heads where we take it

https://youtu.be/_Fl0B-qmlLI

In the link above you see the 73 Mach 1 shot in the PPG Orange Sunset color.

One of the attached photos is the Valspar Sunset color the car had when we initially acquired it. The other attached photo shows the difference between the initial Valspar Sunset color, and the PPG Sunset Orange color on a stirring stick.

This embedded photo below shows the Saddle Bronze Metallic color our Mach 1 was originally (different vehicle):

1676582896372.png

Attachments

• 1073MachI_FrontAbove_20180608.jpeg
    1073MachI_FrontAbove_20180608.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1993Mach1_ColorSampleOfNewPPGPaintColor_20200131.jpg
    1993Mach1_ColorSampleOfNewPPGPaintColor_20200131.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 0
Back