SOLVED!!!Speedometer cable UPDATE and help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the drive gear for our cars 7 or 8 teeth? I have a c4 with a 2.79 gears. 1971 mustang btw

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the drive gear for our cars 7 or 8 teeth? I have a c4 with a 2.79 gears. 1971 mustang btw
It could be 6,7,8 or 9. I have read 8 is the most common for passenger car C4's but the only way to know is to look.

There are two gears, one on the end of your speedo cable (easy to change) and one installed inside the transmission on the drive shaft (difficult and expensive to change).

The one inside the transmission may only have 6-9 teeth. The one at the end of the cable usually has between 16 - 21 teeth.

There are two gears, one on the end of your speedo cable (easy to change) and one installed inside the transmission on the drive shaft (difficult and expensive to change).

The one inside the transmission may only have 6-9 teeth. The one at the end of the cable usually has between 16 - 21 teeth.
I believe on a C4 the gear is ground into the output shaft and can't be changed without swapping the shaft.

I have a feeling that swapping the plastic gear attached to the cable to one with 4 more teeth{i.e. 21 tooth unit} will solve your problem, verify everything with a GPS when finished.

So, your speedo gear is turning too quickly. That tells you it doesn't have enough teeth. a reading of 70 when going 50 is 40% too high.

Count the teeth on yor speedo gear, multipy by 0.6 and that will give you the number of teeth you really want.
I had my math backwards... You want more teeth to slow it down... Count your existing teeth and multiply by 1.4

Can you count the teeth on the green gear and tell us how many it has? Bill it may seem like alot but when I switched from 2.73's to 3.73's in another mustang a 4 tooth jump was required to correct the speedometer. Mine was reading crazy fast for my test run after my ring and pinion swap. A 21 tooth gear was the ticket and got the speedometer within 1 mph of a GPS, good enough for me.

It could be 6,7,8 or 9. I have read 8 is the most common for passenger car C4's but the only way to know is to look.
Thank you, I currently do not have the car readily accessible so I am going to assume it is 8 teeth. I have to change the speedo cable anyway so Ill change the driven gear too. As I gathered from reading it is a simple swap to switch out the driven gear. I just want to have all the parts with me when I change out the speedo cable.

Thank you, I currently do not have the car readily accessible so I am going to assume it is 8 teeth. I have to change the speedo cable anyway so Ill change the driven gear too. As I gathered from reading it is a simple swap to switch out the driven gear. I just want to have all the parts with me when I change out the speedo cable.
Problem Solved:

Went with the advice of many members and took out the green gear (17 teeth) and replaced it with a red gear (21 teeth) and it is spot on now! THANK YOU!

awesome!!!!

I have a 25 tooth in mine and I'm still reading a little fast. But 25 tooth is the highest available, so I'm stuck with thinking I'm going fatser than I am.

Great thread.. My speedo is off by 6mph(fast). Guessing I'm short by tooth?..

Great thread.. My speedo is off by 6mph(fast). Guessing I'm short by tooth?..
Thanks. Ya, just replace with a gear that has one/two additional tooth/teeth and you should be good.
Thanks.. I'll try and get out in the garage tomorrow and count some teeth.

got out there today to take a look.. I have a very bad back so getting under there is no fun..

Before I go and screw something up.. this is the correct cable Im looking at right? I undo the nut and then it unclips from the back of the speedometer, right? within that I'll find the gear to count teeth.

3Vgq0ed.jpg

Back