Someone tell me why this M-code brought just under $9K on eBay

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I'm still a bit skeptical, the M-code theory does seem to make the most sense.

Odd though - it isn't as if collectors are grasping at straws trying to find Boss 351 or 429 cars. I can see some scuffle going on over 429SCJ's, but I can't see that same crowd going after what is essentially 4th best. Can't see any of the 429 crowd settling for anything other than a C-code.

As for the 351-seekers - it is not as if R-codes are that difficult to locate if you have the right cash. Being irrational and spending R-code money on M-codes is downright foolish.

What would be even more foolish is if the M-code rationale is based on the theory that it "must be unusual" due to its replacement by the Q-code the same year. If anything, a 1971 Q-code is the thing to dig up, as a measly 145 Q's were built in '71, according to Marti.

-Kurt
But Q's were built in 72 and 73 as well so they are "common".

- Paul

But Q's were built in 72 and 73 as well so they are "common".

- Paul
If a '72 or '73 Q is what you want. Someone may desire the simple rarity of that code per the 1971 model year.

Case in point, the forum seemed to make quite a store over the 1972 Q-code coupe (1 of 344 made that year) that I posted about not long ago. 1 of 344 doesn't take into account how many 1973 Q-code coupes exist to make the total less unique, but it didn't seem to be a particular concern.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
The M code 351 4V ought to be a better performer than even an "R" code 72, since it has a higher compression ratio. I think that adds to the desirability... The last performance 351 prior to the smog years...

Don't presume that the sales price on E-Bay is always correct. The car was on Craigslist as well and yes, I bought the car. However I live 20 miles away and I could actually look at the rust damage and negotiate getting it repaired.

Second, I was looking for a power window tilt steering early Mustang to cope with a disability. This leaves the choices very narrow, 71-3, and likely a convertible. You can repair rust in most cases but you can't change the options on a car without doing the resto-mod thing and I already have one of those.

Will I be sorry? Maybe, but only time will tell.

Don't presume that the sales price on E-Bay is always correct. The car was on Craigslist as well and yes, I bought the car. However I live 20 miles away and I could actually look at the rust damage and negotiate getting it repaired.

Second, I was looking for a power window tilt steering early Mustang to cope with a disability. This leaves the choices very narrow, 71-3, and likely a convertible. You can repair rust in most cases but you can't change the options on a car without doing the resto-mod thing and I already have one of those.

Will I be sorry? Maybe, but only time will tell.
CONGRATULATIONS on your purchase and Yes, I believe you got a "good one:)."

When you get the opportunity, please go into the "Introduction Forum" and start a thread telling us a bit about yourself so that we might properly 'Welcome" you.

BT

Makes perfect sense. Not many times do we get to hear the rationale of classic car purchases - your reasoning ads justification to a purchase that would otherwise be generalized as irrational without the story.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopeful.... glad you dropped in!! Welcome. For what its worth i have some power window switches that I've collected for my car which is original equipped. I'm changing mine out. BE VERY CAREFUL taking the bezels off... dont damage the clips, the clips CAN NOT be replaced.

Back