Any idea what these nuts might be for?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
I pulled my package tray off in order to use it as a template for creating a new one to hold my new speakers and as I was removing it, the middle section between the two speaker openings had this pile of nuts laying under it. Any idea what therefore? I don’t think therefore 73 Mustang. Here’s a few pics:

IMG_2967.jpegIMG_2968.jpeg

I pulled my package tray off in order to use it as a template for creating a new one to hold my new speakers and as I was removing it, the middle section between the two speaker openings had this pile of nuts laying under it. Any idea what therefore? I don’t think therefore 73 Mustang. Here’s a few pics:

View attachment 88545View attachment 88546
Those hold the rear plastic Honeycomb trim on the taillight panel.

Weird, all of my fasteners are intact holding up the panel. I wonder if some assembly line guy had a handful of them and set them down and then someone put the package tray over it. It looks like the tray had never come out before, but I can’t be certain.

Weird, all of my fasteners are intact holding up the panel. I wonder if some assembly line guy had a handful of them and set them down and then someone put the package tray over it. It looks like the tray had never come out before, but I can’t be certain.
Who knows????

They belong to General McAuliffe.

I wonder how many people know what I'm talking about...
In WW2 during the battle of the Bulge, in the area of the Ardennes Forest around Bastogne. Elements of the 101 Airborne Division, 10th Armor Division and elements of the 82nd Airborne held the line but were surrounded by the Germans. The Germans sent a message to General McAuliffe demanding their surrender. General McAuliffe in typical American defiance when facing an enemy on the battlefield gave them a one word answer. "Nuts" was his response.

I agree - with the rear honeycomb rear trim. I just took mine on and off as necessary to replace my fuel tank.

When I pulled the interior out of the Cougar, a couple screws and the knockout for the accessory power feed were stuck to the underside of sound deadener. In the Mach I found a handful of trim screws and a quarter window trim.

1715265834483.png

View attachment 88545View attachment 88546
Could be the molding that borders the paint finish and panels lower at the flat black area…qm on buck tag. It’s a common type to hold on moldings and ever hood scoops

This might be a good time to repost the fact that I found a second build sheet under my carpet and sound pads, for a '73 Mach-1 in med metallic blue, 3 speed manual trans, and med blue vinyl interior. If you're in need, this could be yours.
Found Buildsheet.jpgFound Buildsheet.jpg

Well, while we're here talking of things found in our cars from the factory,
I found 3 almost pristine build sheets in mine. Not to brag or anything, but 3 seems to be very unusual. Two were under the back under pad, driver side and the third was under the front seat under pad.
I'll not post the pics, that has been done many times before.

Back