Spark Plugs 351C

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odmark

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mercury Cougar
Hi guys! I need to replace spark plugs again since the ceramic crack on mine, the ones in right now are champion RV17YC. 

Its a mildly built 351, i dont know hp ratings but maybe 250-300?

I dont wanna go for Champions again, right now i want to go for some NGK or Bosch since they are easier for me to get hold of as i need them tomorrow!

When checking cross reference from RV17YC its supposed to be NGK BPR4FS, but no one near me has them in stock. BPR5FS are though, will those work? Are they just a cooler version of the 4FS? I have very little knowlege about spark plugs really.

What would you reccomend otherwise?

I show the following for 351c open chamber 2v heads......

Autolite 25

Champion 406

NGK 6630

These are all the copper version and, In my opinion, your best bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys! I need to replace spark plugs again since the ceramic crack on mine, the ones in right now are champion RV17YC. 

Its a mildly built 351, i dont know hp ratings but maybe 250-300?

I dont wanna go for Champions again, right now i want to go for some NGK or Bosch since they are easier for me to get hold of as i need them tomorrow!

When checking cross reference from RV17YC its supposed to be NGK BPR4FS, but no one near me has them in stock. BPR5FS are though, will those work? Are they just a cooler version of the 4FS? I have very little knowlege about spark plugs really.

What would you reccomend otherwise?
I'm going with NGK UR4 since years and I'm perfectly satisfied.

Just my 2 cents

Frank

The only one of those i could find in stock at a local dealer was the Champion 406 (RV12YC) so i will use those for now. Thanks guys for the replies!

I used to use Autolites religiously, but over the past decade, they are no longer being made in the USA and their quality control ebbs and flows year after year. It's gotten to the point where I dont trust them. NGKs have been very consistent and are my go-to plug.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would you recommend for spark plug gap? Its got a GM Style junk china HEI Dist.

Use a stock gap with those cheap HEI distributors. They have a very lazy advance curve and spark energy falls off fast after 4500 RPMs.

I've got Autolites in mine currently, and I'm still working out the mix with the carb - to which they're still working great.  Once I swap to fuel injection, I'll probably stick with Autolites or Motorcraft, but Champions are also on the short list.  I've tried just about everything out there in other vehicles and can honestly say that Bosch is overpriced junk (especially the platinums and iridiums), along with the other brands' "performance" plugs (like Champion Truck Plugs).  Money wasted with no real gain - economy and power actually suffered in my '97 Ram with the Champion Truck Plugs... I just went back with regular Champions stock to my truck - which restored the economy and performance... they worked great!

I've become more of a believer in stock-spec factory recommendations over the years.

Back