speakers in vert!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shellbuyer

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible Mustang
Hi there, any suggestions on where to put speakers in the rear of my 73 convertible? Maybe there is nowhere, please let me know as well if that is the case! Thanks again.

That's a tough one, as there is hardly any room to put them.

The previous owner of my car had installed them in the rear side panels which, of course, he had to cut up for that.

Problem here is, besides cutting up the panels and ruining them for good, is that the speakers have no closed chamber around them, so they do not produce bass or volume and sound pretty thin, especially when the top is down.

The back of the speaker needs some resistance from an enclosure so that it is able to move air. With the top down, the panels are wide open at the top and the speaker has no power at all.

I found some original panels that I will probably put in my car, so I'll put the speakers in the doors.

For some "ooomph" you might add some bigger speakers in the trunk that face the back of the rear seat. They will not produce HIFI sound, due to the vinyl of the seat, but should be able to produce some "torque" in the low frequencies.

But I am no expert when it comes to car stereo systems, so somebody else might be more knowledgeable.

Anyway, here is a pic of my speakers in the panels:

DSC_0060.JPG

For the rear, I tossed some 6x9 in speaker boxes and tucked them behind the seats. If I have 'guests', which is rare, I remove them.

For the front I put them on top of the dash. The surface isn't flat and there is a very limited space where they will fit and they cannot be very thick. Works good for higher frequency speakers. I will take a couple of pictures of the front speakers. I have since removed the back ones and put them in my Jeep but I will be fixing that soon.

My rear speakers were actually nice quality but I put a cheap-o cover on them to help avoid someone stealing them. I always figured I would come out from a quick trip and 'find' them missing.

The previous owner of my car cut 2 holes at the bottom (carpet) area of each door panel. Now, only 4" speakers go there, but they produce a decent sound. Also, custom auto sound has a "stealth box thing with a tweeter in it that fits under the back seat on one side. It looks pretty thing and appears to fit. Good luck!

The previous owner of my car cut the usual holes in the rear quarters......and they looked like crap, he also cut holes in the console for a set of speakers.....I'm thinking of getting a couple of speaker boxes and putting them behind the front seat on the floor ....just take them out when I have anyone in the back....also going to see if I can find 2 speakers to fit up under the dash.

The previous owner of my car cut the usual holes in the rear quarters......and they looked like crap, he also cut holes in the console for a set of speakers.....I'm thinking of getting a couple of speaker boxes and putting them behind the front seat on the floor ....just take them out when I have anyone in the back....also going to see if I can find 2 speakers to fit up under the dash.
My 73 convertible came with AM/FM radio with factory speakers in the door. I never could figure out a good place for rear speakers unless you cut the rear interior panels as others have mentioned. If yours does not have the door speakers you may want to consider that. The metal door panel should have the cutouts there already. You could cut a hole in the carpet area of the door panel and add the louvers for a factory look.

DSCF7562-1.jpg

DSCF0651.jpg

DSCF0652.jpg

With the top up there isn't must between the trunk and the rear cargo (just the well liner). You could put some killer speakers back there below the well liner and pointing 'up'. Water damage would be a concern. The top down would kill the sound (I usually go top down).

Thank you all, my car came with the am radio only, I bought a Ford 8 Track AM/FM to install this spring. I got some real cool 8 tracks from Ebay for it. How many of you guys remember having to jam a cigarette package under the one corner to get the tape to play. lol... ahhhhh the Good ol' days..... I think I will just go with the two door speakers and grills from Mustangs Unlimited.

Are you are interested in listening to your speakers with the engine off?

If you can hear your car radio over the sound of the engine, your engine isn't loud enough.

I had a LEAR JET 8 track tape player in my first 73 Mustang.

Yes, that LEAR JET. It was the only 8 track player I heard that I considered high fidelity...wish I still had it. It was stolen with the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is just a thought may be if you put speakers in rear arm rest you could try and add insultaing foam in a can to help enclose the speaker and that would help with bass,just try not hit the speaker.....just an idea

also going to see if I can find 2 speakers to fit up under the dash.
Ken,

I'm getting ready to do the sound system install next week on the Camaro..The front dash is simialr to the mustang..(center speaker in the dash) Here's what I made for the frt speaker to mount in the stock location..Real easy to do I just need to finish the top with a strip of 1/2"x3/4" foam around the perimeter.

100_3520.JPG100_3521.JPG100_3518.JPG

Ken,

I'm getting ready to do the sound system install next week on the Camaro..The front dash is simialr to the mustang..(center speaker in the dash) Here's what I made for the frt speaker to mount in the stock location..Real easy to do I just need to finish the top with a strip of 1/2"x3/4" foam around the perimeter.
Scott

That looks great! I think that I'll try that with mine!

Ken,

Scott

That looks great! I think that I'll try that with mine!

Ken here is the one we made for my Mustang, works really well

2011-11-12_16-51-25_882.jpg

2011-11-12_16-51-03_897.jpg

Back