speakers in vert!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, here we go.

This is what I started with (ugly!!):

DSC_0060.JPG

First I had to cut some holes into the doors because my car came with the standard dash mounted speakers only.

Of course I did not have any jigsaw blades for metal left and the stores were closed. (as usual!)

So I had to do it the old fashioned way, swiss cheese style: (Edit: Sorry, somehow the pic is upside down, but you get the drift)

Foto(10).JPG

Then I cut the plastic of the new door panels but only so deep as to leave the carpet intact.

Foto(8).JPG

Reason is that I did not have any original style speaker grilles, as I forgot to order them. And, because I am here in Europe, I would have had to wait for at least a week for them to get here but I wanted to get the job done, once I had started.

The good thing is that now the speakers will be hidden from sight but the sound will go through the fabric, although it does lose some treble. But that doesn't bother me that much, because the car is so loud that HIFI is useless anyway.

And this is the end result, nice and clean (except for the tools lying in the car, sorry)

Foto(9).JPG

The speakers sound much better now because the doors act like a closed cabinet that gives them some back pressure, unlike the open rear panels, where the speaker could not make the air move.

I will try and add some speakers the way Roy and Q did it, though. I really like that idea and it will give me the treble that the carpets absorbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken,

I'm getting ready to do the sound system install next week on the Camaro..The front dash is simialr to the mustang..(center speaker in the dash) Here's what I made for the frt speaker to mount in the stock location..Real easy to do I just need to finish the top with a strip of 1/2"x3/4" foam around the perimeter.

Thank you, what a cool idea, I will do that as well..... with my 8track stereo
Scott

That looks great! I think that I'll try that with mine!

Ken here is the one we made for my Mustang, works really well

also going to see if I can find 2 speakers to fit up under the dash.
Ken,

I'm getting ready to do the sound system install next week on the Camaro..The front dash is simialr to the mustang..(center speaker in the dash) Here's what I made for the frt speaker to mount in the stock location..Real easy to do I just need to finish the top with a strip of 1/2"x3/4" foam around the perimeter.
Scott

What material did you use for your speaker holder? Almost looks arborite.

also going to see if I can find 2 speakers to fit up under the dash.
Ken,

Scott

What material did you use for your speaker holder? Almost looks arborite.
Ken..I/8" sheet wood(home depot) ..Used a black panty hose for the cloth cover

Back