Speaking of stripes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Detector

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q Code
1995 GT Convertible
I've seen pictures of what my 1973 Mach 1 originally might have looked like, but, why would my rear valance be black?

73machfrnt6.jpg

Ehmmm... could it be that your car used to have the blacked out lower body?... I´ve never seen an original option in which the valance is in black and the rest of the car isn´t...

The other posibility is that your rear valance is from another car, but still NOS... :)

Previous owner may have replaced it with a 71-72 part???? Chuck
Ohh... 73 did not came with the black lower body option? Im soooo dumb! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
The 73 non-Mach 1's that had the exterior Decor Group did come with a black (or argent) lower body panel. Yours could have come off of one of those.

Thanks.

Since my grille looks to be off a standard 73 I'm leaning toward the rear valance also being off that same car.

That is not the original valance

73 did not have dual exhaust cut outs, all 73's had turn down exhaust.

That may have been the reason a previous owner replaced the valance...for tail pipes exit. I am planning on doing that on FIRE (my '73 Mach 1) after I get the 545 installed:).

BT

That may have been the reason a previous owner replaced the valance...for tail pipes exit. I am planning on doing that on FIRE (my '73 Mach 1) after I get the 545 installed:).

BT

While I appreciate correct, I'd do it. The valance and tips just look so good. Chuck

I've seen pictures of what my 1973 Mach 1 originally might have looked like, but, why would my rear valance be black?

73machfrnt6.jpg
Terry, do you also need the trim that goes around the back window?

Back