Speedo Cable Routing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
Hey gang,

I am ready to route the speedo cable around the tranny mount, the tranny and whatever else to get to the hole on the tailshaft of the 4-speed. Can anyone tell me the correct cable routing for under the car? I hope to do this early tomorrow before I begin installing exhaust..

Pictures and clamp locations are appreciated too!

Thanks!

kcmash

See pic. This is the only clip that was on mine was an FMX. I ended up using the factory speedo clamp for the new clutch cable and added the other loop clamp for the speedo.

image.jpeg

Thanks for the help!

Anyone else have more detail? It seems like I have a lot of speedo cable and nothing to tie it to the car. Is that hangar grommet shown in the picture an original one?

Converting from an FMX, so I have no clue where this thing is supposed to run, I want to get her tied off soon so I can install the exhaust!

Thanks,

kcmash

The hanger grommet was added to hold the speedo cable. The original speedo clamp is in the lower right corner of the photo. It now has the clutch cable in it.

Thanks for the help!

Anyone else have more detail? It seems like I have a lot of speedo cable and nothing to tie it to the car. Is that hangar grommet shown in the picture an original one?

Converting from an FMX, so I have no clue where this thing is supposed to run, I want to get her tied off soon so I can install the exhaust!

Thanks,

kcmash
Its' not going to be any clearer than this factory positioning. Hope this helps. The shot of the gearbox is obvious of course.

Geoff.

Try different routes from point A to point B and pick the one which has the least severe radius turns. Tight turns can cause the speedo gauge to "bounce." Don't forget to lube the inner cable completely but sparingly. Should be a grease which doesn't harden when cold. Lots of info to read on which type of grease...start Googling.

Try different routes from point A to point B and pick the one which has the least severe radius turns. Tight turns can cause the speedo gauge to "bounce." Don't forget to lube the inner cable completely but sparingly. Should be a grease which doesn't harden when cold. Lots of info to read on which type of grease...start Googling.
You are scaring me now! How do I lube the cable? I bought a new reproduction one since I am doing a conversion. I was not going to lube it.

Looks like I need to find the clamp I took off then. My original cable in the garage has a steel band around it to protect from the clamp. Not sure where the clamp ended up.!

You are scaring me now! How do I lube the cable? I bought a new reproduction one since I am doing a conversion. I was not going to lube it.

Looks like I need to find the clamp I took off then. My original cable in the garage has a steel band around it to protect from the clamp. Not sure where the clamp ended up.!
This is what I used. After reading all kinds of info I came to my own conclusion. I hung my cable from a ceiling joist in my shop and put some grease on my thumb and index finger and just made sure to fully coat the full surface of the cable. Don't be afraid of the grease, coat the cable real good but don't leave gobs of it on. Don't put any grease on the last 6-8 inches of the speedometer end, not necessary. Slide the outer cable over the greased inner cable while it's still hanging. (this will keep it off the floor) If the grease is bunching up at the feed end of the outer cable, you have too much grease on it. That's about it, good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-21010-Synthetic-Blistered/dp/B000BXKZQU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01

Feel free to read all you want about grease options and make your own decision...other people will have differing opinions and tell you to just use axle bearing grease and the like, you've got to choose for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back