Sport Lamp Bulb Socket

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, this has bothered me for some time.  A customer asked for what I used as a socket and I gave him the Amazon/Dorman part.  He said he tried it, and "it didn't fit the lens well" whatever that means.  So...off I go and try bulbs.  The 1157 does fit the socket and only one of the two filaments lights up, but somewhat dim (I suspect the lower level filament).  I went to a couple of parts stores and sought the 94 bulb and came up with zilch.  The Ford Factory Manual Section 32 front has the Mustang sportslamp for 71/72 as #96, not #94, which was used for other Ford models.  Couldn't find a 96 either.  I did find 1004 bulb which is form/fit/function compatible with the 94 spec: candlepower, wattage, size, and pin offsets at the same height.  I tried it in a Dorman socket and it worked great.

So...give the 1004 bulb a try; you'll like it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question; why are people messing around with old out of date incandescent bulbs when Hi-Po Parts has LED or SMD bulbs to replace ALL the old bulbs on our cars? The only non LED type I have on my 71 Mach1 are the Halogen headlights. For sure, the sport light bulb is a special one due to grounding. Unfortunately there is no number on the bulb and it doesn't show on my invoice, but Bill will know what it is. 

https://www.hipoparts.com  Phone 1-888-533-4476

NOTE: this is referring to the bulb, not the 71 socket.

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that metal socket is unique to 71 and is much more reliable than the plastic version.  Unfortunately, the metal ones are not reproduced and are hard to find in cores.  I have to use the plastic version for 71-73 (73 has different wiring).  People have said that the original bulb doesn't fit the plastic socket for some reason.  I can't find an original bulb to verify, but the 1004 is a functional replacement.

So Midlife. We have an old parts house they closed here in the early 80's and his daughter has been selling the old stock out. I bought some gaskets, water pump, thermostats and few other Items. Should I go and get the old bulbs if they are that hard to find? I had boxes even cases of them when I sold at swap meets. I sold everything to one guy to get rid of them for like $50.00 years ago. Any other hard to find electrical I should look for?

The 71/72 sportslamp sockets are not reproduced.  The 14 gauge fusible link repair units for Ford are not properly reproduced.  The driver's side 3 pin door switch socket is not reproduced.  The 94 bulb is out there, just not easily found.  NPD does carry them.  Glass fuses in the right size and amperage are now getting hard to find, but they are out there.  I buy in bulk (100-500 each) from a nation-wide vendor, so that's not an issue for me.

Back