Sport Mirror Questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rackerm,

That is interesting, my drivers side mirrors numbers end with an upside down AM. I wonder what the difference is between WA and AM

on your passenger side mirror picture the housing number looks like C9ZB -Doesn't that indicate a 69 number? I wonder what the correlation is between the casting number and the part number.

I keep looking for something that would point to a specific number that was used on the 71-73 and can't seem to find it but maybe it is because of the difference between the casting numbers and part number....?
I am fairly certain the RH mirror housing was the same casting number from 69-73... C9ZB-17477-A. The base for our cars was different

The middle number (ie. 17477) represent the general part number LH side/sport mirror in this case. the last few letters are an engineering revision number. 

I found a reference to a LH Housing casting number of D0DB- 17A703-AW. Also, there is another post on the same topic, it says the LH mirror housing casting is D1ZZ-703-AW ... https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-71-sport-mirrors

Also if you have a broken adjustment knob on you LH remote mirror, you can drill out the old broken shaft and get a repro or look for the Ford repair and replacement mirror knob kit (D6AZ-17B718-A).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious now what casting numbers the two drivers' side mirrors housing I have are as I thought 71-73  housings had a D1Z number.  I will pull apart and check mine.

As the other post says, there appears to be several different sizes just between their two cars...and Not A T5 had 3 mirrors all different sizes..

Thanks for the info on the adjusting knob fix!

I'm curious now what casting numbers the two drivers' side mirrors housing I have are as I thought 71-73  housings had a D1Z number.  I will pull apart and check mine.

As the other post says, there appears to be several different sizes just between their two cars...and Not A T5 had 3 mirrors all different sizes..

JimB73, yeah man that is really confusing, isn't it? When I first noticed the different mirror housing sizes I couldn't believe it and I thought my mirror glass was too small. But heck no, the housing is slightly bigger.  Passenger mirror glass looks so pathetically small, original or aftermarket, doesn't matter. I have bought 3 different passenenger housings online where the sellers stated 71-73.  But that wasn't the case, I think both housings go from 69-73 but our cars have different pedestals. Since I got both my housings chromed, and that's what's going back on the car, I gave up my search for a "CORRECT" passenger housing or have a mirror cut to size!

JimB73, Let us know what you find on your mirrors.

With reference to the link that rackerm posted on p2, I went back to that and re-read it. I don't know what I was thinking, can't remember that far back, but I somehow got the spare RH body number wrong. Perhaps that was the number on the one ON my car, not the spare.  I got the magnifier out and the number on the spare definitely would be C9 ZB-17477-AW. The C is missing and the 9 is barely there. The base number is as I posted before, but the prefix is AWA, again, almost unreadable.

Hope that clears up some confusion I may have caused.

Geoff.

By the way, that link has the details of my little conversion RH convex mirror.

Not a T5 -Yes, I would never have thought it would be this difficult to find what is the correct sport mirrors for 71-73 Mustang. I think part of the issue is that over time people have mixed and matched the sport mirrors from several Ford cars. Now, when trying to buy a used mirror people are claiming that what they are selling is for a Mustang (heck, they all look they same don't they....) when in fact they are from Maverick's, Torino's. etc. and are different sizes.

Stanglover, I got your PDF on the mirror mod. If I ever get the mirrors I want I may use this mod -Thanks!

I pulled the two Drivers side mirrors I have apart and of course I have found yet another confusing issue....These were both sold as being for 71-73 Mustang. 

Here are the housing part numbers (both are the same but were bought at different times)

D0DB-17A703 AW   60348 402

I looked up this number in a Ford decode book I have and it says this is a Maverick part number for sport mirror...All I want is two matching mirrors that are correct for my car !

Not a T5 -Yes, I would never have thought it would be this difficult to find what is the correct sport mirrors for 71-73 Mustang. I think part of the issue is that over time people have mixed and matched the sport mirrors from several Ford cars. Now, when trying to buy a used mirror people are claiming that what they are selling is for a Mustang (heck, they all look they same don't they....) when in fact they are from Maverick's, Torino's. etc. and are different sizes.

Stanglover, I got your PDF on the mirror mod. If I ever get the mirrors I want I may use this mod -Thanks!

I pulled the two Drivers side mirrors I have apart and of course I have found yet another confusing issue....These were both sold as being for 71-73 Mustang. 

Here are the housing part numbers (both are the same but were bought at different times)

D0DB-17A703 AW   60348 402

I looked up this number in a Ford decode book I have and it says this is a Maverick part number for sport mirror...All I want is two matching mirrors that are correct for my car !
 Jim, I think you could live with what you have for the bodies IF the left "looks" (matches) like the right. No-one would know they might have been for another car. It's the pedestals that MUST be correct or they won't fit the door shape. One further consideration is that the correct pedestals actually match up to the bodies you have. I'm wondering if mirrors off other cars, the pedestals might be different where they screw on to the body. The pic below is on a Montego and it just looks quite a bit bigger...…. or not!

I have a friend with a nice 69 Mach, but a PO put on a replacement right side mirror before the car was painted without the correct pedestal. Needless to say it 'leans' at an angle, looks just wrong.

As for my pdf, if you need further help, PM me.

Yeah, I maybe being too picky but buying these used mirrors isn't cheap ($70-100+ each ). Then they have to be stripped and painted to match my car, more $$...

So they end up being an expensive item and if I'm going to spend that much I was hoping to be able to find/use the correct parts.But, that s just me...

The distance between the screw holes in the body is different, PO had original mirrors from another Ford Mercury Montego 1972 and then had two adjustable mirrors ( D2GB-17742-AWA & D2GB-17713-AWA). :huh:

Now I have the correct ones on the Mustang.  :D

Yeah, I maybe being too picky but buying these used mirrors isn't cheap ($70-100+ each ). Then they have to be stripped and painted to match my car, more  $$...

So they end up being an expensive item and if I'm going to spend that much I was hoping to be able to find/use the correct parts.But, that s just me...
  There are correct ones out there if you take your time and keep looking. Stay off E-Pay!! Recently I had a chance to buy a pair for 50 bucks, but passed as I don't need any right now. They were definitely Mustang and in good shape.

Adding the bigger mirrors might cost you 50-60 bucks to buy the replacement glass and get them cut.

Geoff.

Back