STA_BIL Fogging Oil for long term storage

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhvidston

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang conv 302
1973 Mustang conv 351
I've heard of STA-BIL for gas tank storage before but not STA-BIL

oil in the engine to keep cylinders and pistons lubbed for proloned storage.

Anyone ever use this.. ?

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm curious what people think here also... I was religious about using it in anything that might sit, including my gas can for my lawnmower, and have had 3 batches of gas in my gas can go bad (as in the lawnmower wouldn't start and I had to take it apart and drain it out of everything and refill with fresh gas to get it running again) this summer- haven't figured out what the problem is yet but the stabil didn't help like it used to.

I winterized my boat motor with fogger all the time. Never hurt anything, and it burns right out in the spring... keeps things nice in the mean time. The motor is a 5.0 liter ford... just spray it into the carb until you stall.

When I put my cars away in November until end of April in central New York I do the following:

Before putting the last 5-10 miles on the car on way to storage I fill the gas tank, dump in about 3 oz of marvel mystery oil in the gas along with the Lucas gas stabilizer/ethanol treatment (amount per bottle instructions).

Then before I shut the car off in storage I take the air cleaner off and pour small amount of marvel mystery oil in the carb primary while keeping the RPMs up around 1,500. Once the exhaust starts smoking about 30-40 seconds later I'll shut it off.

Spray aluminum parts down with WD-40 and cover her up.

Maybe more than you asked for but I was on a roll!

We use fogging oil in the race engines in the fall especially in the cars stored in the trailer.

For storing equipment with small engines, drain the fuel system completely on anything that's going to sit for 30 days or more.

For the 'stang, I fill it with premium as full as I can get it. Then I drive it home and seal the tank with some cling wrap between the neck and flip cap. This keeps oxygen out and prevents the gas from going too stale. I start the car once a month and let it run until the thermostat opens.

Hmm I've never used any magic bottles for anything. Not sure if it's the climate here in VA but my lawn mowers always run on whatever sat in the can over winter.

My 73 I fill her up when it starts getting chilly outside and try to start it up and let idle for about 5 mins, give the accelerator some love taps then shut her off. About twice a month.

I've never heard bad things about any of the sta bil products. Sea foam is great for fuel but I don't think it's a good idea to mix it in your oil. Today's quality motor oils are very good and a ton of r&d goes into making them. I'd hate to dilute it with a "wonder liquid". I just prefer to start and run the engine every now and then, at least bring it up to operating temp. The film strength will be enough to cling to the moving parts. Just my .02. I work closely with Ashland inc. (company that makes valvoline products) te amount of knowledge behind those little bottles is staggering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all for your input on the subject. Sounds like the common thread here is to start and run your engine on regular intervals.

Good advice by all.

Back