Staggered Wheels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dashbrazil

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Sprint, 2V
I learned today that I'm moving to the East Coast in a month :dodgy:

That's all well and good, but I never replaced the tires and worn out rims that I bought her with, they're all a different brand of tire! Pretty badly worn too but at different rates. I don't want to drive cross-country in her, but I have too short of notice to get my trailer from Oregon so it looks like it's time to spend some money.

Aside from the Cragar S/S vs Magnum 500 argument, I was wondering about how everyone's experience with staggered wheels are. I'm thinking about 15x7 with 235/60/15 tires in the front and 15x8 with 275/60/15 in the rear to give her a more aggressive stance and a little more traction.

The issue I see is that she's a daily driver since I sold my bike, so my spare tire is an issue when I have two sizes, and the lack of being able to rotate my tires properly. What are your thoughts on staggered vs all the same size? Probably need to order these this weekend :s Thank God I'm not married.

Im running the same size as you mentioned and i like it. But if you get a flat you would be ok to put a spare on that didnt match as long as it wasnt for long term or long distance. And your right about rotating them. Mine is not a dailey driver but i have went through 3 sets of back tires and the front still look BRAND NEW?? :huh::huh: go figure? lol!!

21joal5.png

Front = 15x8 w/ 245/60's.

Rear = 15x10 w/ 275/60 or 295/50's.

Either rear tire above will fit using 8's. 235's on the front at a minimum on 8's. Sevens look just OK till you see 8's on them. These wheelwells are larger than most any other pony car (or pickup truck for that matter). Sizes sound huge till you see the combos mounted and installed.

If not staggered, use 15x8's with 245's on all 4.

I have 4) 15x8 ARE Outlaw I's for my car, but no tires yet. My choice will be 245/295 combo.

JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
For "Ice" (my driver '73 Grande), I went with 245X50X16 on eight inch rims at all four corners. To me, it makes sense to have it that way for the reasons you cited in your post.

I have "staggered" sizes on "Fire" (my '73 Mach 1) but it is not set up for daily driving. Here are a couple pictures of "Ice" with the 245X50X16 tires.

eapn49.jpg

i1lan9.jpg

BT

I'm thinking about 15x7 with 235/60/15 tires in the front and 15x8 with 275/60/15 in the rear to give her a more aggressive stance and a little more traction.
I went with 15X7 with 235/60/15 on front and 15X8 with 265/60/15 in the rear and I'm really happy with them. I thought about the 275 on the rear but went on the conservative side and got 265's just to insure I had no clearance issues. I've got plenty of clearance with the 265's so I'm sure the 275's would have been fine.

Jim

You could do as I do, though I don't really recommend it. I carry a plug kit and a small compressor and don't carry a spare at all. With my rear disc brakes a 15 spare won't clear. I'm running 17's in staggered sizes and did run the 275 60 15's before I swapped my rear brakes. Join AAA check your tires regularly and cross your fingers a lot.

I like that combo. In my mind a spare is a non-issue, just go with the smaller. How many years did car companies give tiny donut tires as spares that didn't match the size. Should be fine getting you to a tire store no problem

I like that combo. In my mind a spare is a non-issue, just go with the smaller. How many years did car companies give tiny donut tires as spares that didn't match the size. Should be fine getting you to a tire store no problem
I got factory aluminum slotted mags on the front..You can see them on my profile picture....But in the back i got much wider 15's ill have to check the size...But im telling you what..I dont know if its just my car or these body styles of stangs...But i never had tires last so long in my life...I drove mine daily as a teen for over 10 years...and then weekends mostly for the last 5 years...Burning some rubber here and there..being bad on them But they lasted forever!!...With out any rotation...I got to replace the rubber now..cause after 15 years...my old grand am tires are starting to rott..But the tread is still great..lol.....Below is a picture the tires i realy want to get for her...."drools" hehe even mounted on my rims...I think the raised white letter tires make them pop.lol

Good advice! I think I'll go with 15x8 on all four with 245's! Now just the hard choice between Magnums and Cragars.. argghh

Edit:

Bought the bullet, 4 15x8 Magnum's comin in from CJPony! :D

Was not a fan of the slots...but the more I see them, the more I like them.

Back