Should I adjust my wheel alignment after my tire swap?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1
So I just changed my front tires from BFG Radial T/A's 225/60/15 to 245/60/15. I'm finding now that the car is getting pulled back and forth like crazy from the crown in the road. I know this is somewhat typical with a wider front tire but I'm wondering if an adjustment with the camber, caster and toe might help?

In short, yes - get it checked and adjusted as required. The hardest part is finding someone who really understands alignment on vintage cars like the mustang. That's the really important part.

Yes, and make sure they don't use factory specs, which are for bias tires, not radials.

Give them the Opentracker specs at the link below. The most critical component is to have POSITIVE caster.

https://opentrackerracing.com/tech-info/

Even if you replace your front tires with a new set exactly the same brand and size, front end alignment is always recommended. Interestingly, the last time I took my car to get an alignment, ( new tires ), the "high tech" shop didn't have the proper adaptors to fit my 14" factory rims, so I had to hunt down a few shops until I found a place that could do it. Back when, alignment was accomplished with the front tires resting on turntables which aided with toe-in, today, many shops have laser targeting devices which attach to the rims and shoot a mark onto a target board. They can also check your rear axle alignment, not that , for most of us, this is an issue.

I just experienced something similar. New front tires are slightly narrower, and the problem you described got better, driving feels better, which I didn't expect. The tire shop refused to do alignment, the owner saying his young employees don't have relevant experience.

The tire shop refused to do alignment, the owner saying his young employees don't have relevant experience.

Maybe, just maybe, he could train his young employees?

Next quote from the shop owner - nobody wants to work any more....

1687203608381.png

Even if you replace your front tires with a new set exactly the same brand and size, front end alignment is always recommended. Interestingly, the last time I took my car to get an alignment, ( new tires ), the "high tech" shop didn't have the proper adaptors to fit my 14" factory rims, so I had to hunt down a few shops until I found a place that could do it. Back when, alignment was accomplished with the front tires resting on turntables which aided with toe-in, today, many shops have laser targeting devices which attach to the rims and shoot a mark onto a target board. They can also check your rear axle alignment, not that , for most of us, this is an issue.
I had the same problem about ten years ago at a Goodyear shop with my 70 Cobra with 15 inch magnums.
Took it the local Ford dealer who’s owner also dealt with classic cars. But after a month or so it lost its alignment and wore the tires out. The lower control are concentric adjustment bolts would not stay put. Readjusted them myself and I think I put a screw in them.
Wanted to used those square ones but ended selling it before that.

Back