Starting issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 48 year old wiring was falling to pieces inside the engine bay when i removed the engine and disturbed the wiring
I don’t have that problem.....yet. My issues are from the accident I was in.
... But they are sending your car back, NOT fixed...

Call the insurance company, they should fix this... maybe get them to pay for Randy to rebuild your harness?

I'm starting to have some doubts about this shop now

My 48 year old wiring was falling to pieces inside the engine bay when i removed the engine and disturbed the wiring
I don’t have that problem.....yet. My issues are from the accident I was in.
... But they are sending your car back, NOT fixed...

Call the insurance company, they should fix this... maybe get them to pay for Randy to rebuild your harness?

I'm starting to have some doubts about this shop now
I’m not really sure at this point. 

I still have a problem with the transmission too.

The little details like these are what takes the longest and are the most frustrating to figure out, but hopefully the shop comes through for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The little details like these are what takes the longest and are the most frustrating to figure out, but hopefully the shop comes through for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Ya, it’s been very frustrating for them and me too. Kinda thought I was going to have it back by now, but these last couple things just showed up. The shop is really trying to figure it out.

I should have just had my trans gone thru while it was out for good measure, but I never had any problems with it. So as it turns out, it won’t stay in park. The parking pawl is either broken or the actuating rod broke. The shop where my car is doesn’t work on transmissions, other than installing them and changing pans and oil. They do have a guy that rebuilds them for them but it’s gotta be out of the car.

I kinda forgot to update this thread. I found out the problem with the starting issue when the car was cold. Both the I and S wires had corrosion at the connections that go to the solenoid. Both of the connections there were bad, but it was hidden by shrink wrap. The po that restored this car did this before I bought the car. So both connections looked fine from the outside but were bad on the inside. One of the wires only had a couple strands holding it together. So when it was really cold, the wires expanded and they lost connection. When warmed up the contracted just enough to work.

I had to replace my solenoid so that’s how I found this. One of the wire connections broke off while I was replacing the solenoid, so problem finally solved. After I redid the connections I haven’t had a problem since.

People that mess with wiring and don't know (or do, but don't care) what they're doing deserve to have bamboo slivers driven under their fingernails. One of my pet peeves, I've had to spend hours and days tracing wiring to find and repair bad splices. If they only spent as much time on the splices as they do on hiding them :(

The wire nuts they use are at least easy to find. The twisted together and then taped over ones are the hardest to find. Butt splices that have been squeezed together with regular pliers are another one that gets me, they know how to do it, but use the wrong tools. Bad wiring starts fires, in car and in houses, if you don't know how, or don't care, keep your hands off wiring.

Edit: On second thought, if everyone did their wiring correctly it would probably put Midlife out of business, and I wouldn't want to see that, so disregard what I said earlier. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back