Stereo Wires?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mchandford

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 "M" Code. 351C and 4 speed toploader.
Found these two loose connectors under the center dash behind the stereo. there is an aftermarket stereo in it, so someone could have unplugged to stock radio and ran their own power, does this look like anything anyone recognizes? going to try to find some manuals with wire color codes.

IMG_0657 (800x598).jpg

Thanks. I am an electronics technician so this stuff should be second nature, but trying to work backwards (using just a wire color) is a little bit tougher. I think the connector on the right would have been for the clock. not 100% sure yet though.

Thanks. I am an electronics technician so this stuff should be second nature, but trying to work backwards (using just a wire color) is a little bit tougher. I think the connector on the right would have been for the clock. not 100% sure yet though.
The wiring diagrams I posted are searchable by accessory name. For example, try searching for radio, and the area/section concerning radio should come up.

After having the drawings scanned, I used an OCR program so we could find these things easier.

The one plug on the left looks like a clock plug; the one on the right has wire colors I can't quite make out, but it looks suspiciously like the radio power/radio light plug.

one on the left is for the console

Other one looks like the extension to the light for the heater control

Left connector- I am glad someone else can agree that this one is for the clock. Would it have gone in a center console? I could only find pictures of the clock in the instrument cluster. Thought that looked a little strange. My car, though, has the warning lamps on the left of the cluster.

right connector- Someone mentioned a light for the heater control. I will take a look next time I am at the car to see if there is a place to hook that up, not sure my heater controls have any backlighting. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Left connector- I am glad someone else can agree that this one is for the clock. Would it have gone in a center console? I could only find pictures of the clock in the instrument cluster. Thought that looked a little strange. My car, though, has the warning lamps on the left of the cluster.

right connector- Someone mentioned a light for the heater control. I will take a look next time I am at the car to see if there is a place to hook that up, not sure my heater controls have any backlighting. Thanks for the ideas guys.
Left connector is for the full size flor console

These photos won't help id the connector on the left but I'm thinking midlife might be right looking at these pics. As he said, the one on the right looks a lot like the power to the original radio.

I was doing the same thing, replacing an aftermarket stereo when I took these photos. I was lucky as the person who installed the replacement spliced in after the original connectors and even used the OEM wires on the radio side of the junction so it was easier to figure out.

Hope this helps:

DSCF7315.JPGDSCF7316.JPG

One of the radio wires is blue/red; the other is typically white/pink dashes. Prior years to 71 had the latter wire yellow/black.

Back