Stock Paint 73 mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great post and info David, thanks for sharing. Not sure I like the look of the argent bumper and rear insert though lol.

BTW...what are the round plastic pieces on the side of the black door?
Back when they did dip prime the cars the only way they would last 5 years was to Ziebart rust prevent them. They drilled holes in rockers. door, etc. and ran long wands inside and sprayed hot wax to cover the metal. Helped a lot. The black car was a Dearborn Michigan car and not so rusty.

I'll be painting my 73 mach 1 in a few months.  Right now I'm leaning toward 6D Yellow (is this a stock color for 73?).  My other choice would be 6E Mid Bright Yellow.  

thanks

Bob
Someone sent me this 73 paint code chart a few weeks ago.  

I was trying to figure out my Data Plate 6B color code which says Lt Yellow Gold. 

But current car color today is more like 6D or 6E.  

Must be a color change repaint but I dont see any evidence. MIKE SRO

I was trying to figure out my Data Plate 6B color code which says Lt Yellow Gold. 

Colors are notoriously difficult to represent correctly across computers. I overlaid the 73 yellow chips over your car's picture and I believe it's the correct original 6B color. 6C is too brown and 6D & 6E are too yellow.

Colors are notoriously difficult to represent correctly across computers. I overlaid the 73 yellow chips over your car's picture and I believe it's the correct original 6B color. 6C is too brown and 6D & 6E are too yellow.

Code on the door is 6E for sure also have the Marti.

The door sticker pic was made by PO when I was looking at it on ebay really bad color there. I pulled the panel off between the tail lights so that has not seen sun at all.

Only great pics are Kodachrome, lol. The chips also change over time.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was my 73 vert witb 6C and white interior. As stated previously, 6C was a late 73 production color that carried over to 74 and possibly later. It's a somewhat rare color. My 73 vert was one 1 of 26 made with white interior. I wish I still had it.

The pic shows the color accurately against the canary yellow house behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back