Story of when things are suspicious but the buyer ends up being real

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
For a change I want to talk about a successful transaction I recently had in Marketplace.
I put my recently replaced Wilwood brake set for sale. I offered it here and after no interest I went to Facebook Marketplace. I was approached by an individual interested in them. I look at his FB profile and looked suspicious. He has been in FB for two years but he only had a few friends which were all businesses. He had no personal pictures at all. The written English was poor. I decided to continue the conversation with my typical checks. I asked where he was from, he said Houston. Then I asked for which car, and he said 1973 Mustang. He asked for my phone number and I replied that the transaction will have to be all electronic. Then he asked me to negotiate the price and I told him $1,000 (the list price was $650). I have done this in the past and they will accept a higher price and then you really know it is a scam. He replied with a picture of the add stating my list price of $650. Then I kept asking questions, like the tire combo. His response checked. Then based on his written English I asked if he speaks Spanish. He said yes. So since I speak Spanish from then our conversation changed so Spanish and he explained he was using Google translate, which made sense. From there we kept the conversation. All the time trying to get hints if something didn't match. He live in Mexico but travels all the time to Houston for business. His FB profile was mainly for business. The address he gave me was a for a clothing warehouse which matched his profile. After a while things were making sense but I still was uneasy. My last question is that I asked him to take a picture of his Mustang with the date written in a paper. He did that right away. He sent other pictures of his Mustang and I performed a reverse picture lookup and found nothing. At this point I am starting to trust him but still being a bit careful. I gave him the shipping quote for a total of $700. He wanted to wait a little for a better exchange rate so I waited. A few days I pushed and he paid via Paypal. I didn't click on the email from Paypal indicating receipt of payment, but I logged in directly and the money was there. I waited a day just in case and all was good. During this period he was also checking if I was real. He asked for a very specific picture, which I provided. I shipped the box the next day after payment and he received it a few days later. I just wanted to share a story about someone that didn't seem real but he checked out all the tests. We were talking about a good amount of money so I was very careful. The picture of the car with the date was definitely the turning point. I am very appreciative of him going through my tests and I hope he enjoys the brakes for a long time!

There are still good honest people around. They are just getting harder to find. Glad it all worked out.
I have been lucky and have had only a couple of issues in over 20 years. I've shipped many things international and the vast majority of the problems have been domestic.
When buying, ask for another pic of some odd detail that will automatically include something in one of the posted pics. That something can be oil staining, nicks, anything that is identifiably specific to the part in the original posted pics. If they supply the oddball pic and you can tell it is the same part, its in their possession, then it's probably good.

Back