Subframe connectors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I just bought a set of the Global subframe connectors. Can I weld them in with the back end lifted by the differential? Should be the same as sitting on its wheels right? I am a welder by trade so I know I can get them welded in, but dont want to put them in wrong! Thanks!!

I just bought a set of the Global subframe connectors. Can I weld them in with the back end lifted by the differential? Should be the same as sitting on its wheels right? I am a welder by trade so I know I can get them welded in, but dont want to put them in wrong! Thanks!!
Yes, you want the weight of the car on the rear axle. When I did mine I had the same questions and that was what I was told. I used Tinman but they should be the same procedure.

Yes, you want the weight of the car on the rear axle. When I did mine I had the same questions and that was what I was told. I used Tinman but they should be the same procedure.
And the front by the tires?

Mine was on a drive-on lift, axle lifted on a rolling center jack (so I could get into the rear wheelwell openings). I think what you're taking about should be just fine.

subframeconnectors1.jpg

Hope that helps.

(don't critique my very un-pretty welds, though rofl )

JBojo, Which rear sway bar do you have installed in your car? I have the Addco 3/4" and haven't put it in yet because I'm not sure if I'm going to want it. I put the 5 leaf rear springs in, with a 1 1/8" front sway bar, do you think I will want the rear sway bar?

JBojo, Which rear sway bar do you have installed in your car? I have the Addco 3/4" and haven't put it in yet because I'm not sure if I'm going to want it. I put the 5 leaf rear springs in, with a 1 1/8" front sway bar, do you think I will want the rear sway bar?
I have a 1" rear sway bar installed. Since I upgraded the front to 1 1/8 I decided to go from 3/4 to 1" in the rear. I think that if you have the rear one already to just install it as it was part of the performance pkg. It takes less than an hour to install but you'll need the plate that has the ears for the end links to attach to if your car didn't originally have the rear sway bar.

My car corners pretty well so I think that its worth putting in. I also have the 5 leaf rear springs and it raised the back to give it a more level stance. I always didn't care for the nose up look for the car.

My car being a 72 it didn't come with a sway bar, so I have to drill holes in the frame to mount the sway bar, then it comes with brackets that go to the leaf springs for the links.
I believe that the mounting holes are predrilled in the cars but not 100% sure. Here is a picture of the plate that is needed and I see a pair on sale on e-bay for $40.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/69-70-71-72-73-Ford-Mustang-Original-Competition-Rear-Sway-Bar-Mounting-Plates-/251824125573?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3aa1e33685&vxp=mtr

The endlinks are there too and not very much. BTW the sway bars were an option for our cars.

IMG_0397.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I would raise the front of the car, also, with the weight on the tires. Just raising the rear changes the weight distribution of the car. The weight on the front suspension will be acting at an angle instead of straight up. Lifting by the differential will probably not keep the car level from side to side. Use jack stands, never work under a car held up by only a jack. Make sure the weld points are level from side to side, measuring to the top of the wheel openings is not accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sway bar I bought is the aadco aftermarket, The instructions say to mount the link holders to the leaf spring in front of the diff tube with the squared u-bolts they supply, raise the sway bar to the frame, mark the holes where the brackets are going to mount, drill holes, and bolt the sway bar bushings up with a special u-bolt they supply that goes inside the frame. I dont think I can use the factory plates for it.

The sway bar I bought is the aadco aftermarket, The instructions say to mount the link holders to the leaf spring in front of the diff tube with the squared u-bolts they supply, raise the sway bar to the frame, mark the holes where the brackets are going to mount, drill holes, and bolt the sway bar bushings up with a special u-bolt they supply that goes inside the frame. I dont think I can use the factory plates for it.
Yeah I looked up the sway bar and those plates would not work. I would just look under the car to see if the holes are already drilled for the mounting bushings and if they are you can just install it. If you want to go with the stock piece you will need the plates.

Which bar did you buy? I was looking at the addco 990. Mine didn't come with a bar either. The holes are there but not the nuts in the frame. I talk to adcco and there are a few options. I think in going to elongate one to the holes and fish a square uhook in the frame.

Jim

I can't remember the exact model number, but mine the link ends go to the leaf spring in front of the axle tubes, they supplied little u-bolt/plates for end links, then just raise bar to the frame, mark frame for D-bushing mounts, drill holes, insert u-bolts into the frame, pull bar back up and bolt in place, center everything, and tighten end links. Did all this yesterday and everything seems to fit and look right. Gotta wait for motor before I can test drive. I will try to do a write up on various things once the car is running!! Good luck to all with your projects!!!

Latest posts

Back