Installing Subframe Connectors with 2 Post Lift

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, Q code, 4 speed, 3.25, A/C, P/S
73 Vert

I bought the TinMan subframe connectors for installation on my convertible.

I wouldn't call myself a welder, but I think I can do a good enough job to get these installed. I know I have to make some modifications to fit them in the convertible. There is a YouTube video on doing so.

My question is, when I put my car up in the air with my two post lift, the door gaps widen. The car is obviously flexing.

How do I put the car up in the air to install the subframe connectors and not install them with the body already flexed?

On a four post lift, I'm guessing this would not be an issue.

Thoughts?

You can use a set of wheel dolleys from harbor freight. I use the 2 post to lift the car up for most work. Then when I need to do something that requires the weight to be on the wheels, set it down on the dolleys. It raises the car up a decent amount.

73 Vert

I bought the TinMan subframe connectors for installation on my convertible.

I wouldn't call myself a welder, but I think I can do a good enough job to get these installed. I know I have to make some modifications to fit them in the convertible. There is a YouTube video on doing so.

My question is, when I put my car up in the air with my two post lift, the door gaps widen. The car is obviously flexing.

How do I put the car up in the air to install the subframe connectors and not install them with the body already flexed?

On a four post lift, I'm guessing this would not be an issue.

Thoughts?
IMO, the only way to do it correctly is to stitch/tack weld them in with the sprung weight on all four corners. Pre-fit/mock them up on the lift, but final welding should be done with SW as I mentioned earlier IMO

Here’s a picture of the cribs like my buddy uses when working on his Vette(obviously not the vette😁). If you build them sturdy, and use good wood you can go pretty high, having the two post to lift you up, setting them in place should be nice.
I want to do this to my vert also, keep us updated on how you make out 👍IMG_0044.jpeg

Back