Survivor 1970 Boss 429 Mustang Found In Alabama!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have told the story several times on here. I was working in a race engine shop in Asheville NC. There were quite a few boss mustangs there I think local dealer sold 9. One day in 1974 a guy came by the shop and wanted to know if anyone was interested in buying a boss 9 with an extra engine for $1,000 and nobody wanted it. They were a dog. The comment about the engine having 500 hp was crazy. A good Boss 351 will eat their lunch. In the 70's you did not know if you were going to get gas for another week. I had to buy a motorcycle to be able to get enough gas to drive to work and home. Nobody wanted the old BB Fords, Mopar or Chevy. Most went to the crusher.

The boss 9 was not built to perform just hold an engine and meet the rules of NASCAR so they could run in a race car. The did not handle and the only ones that did any good on the strip were the 3 or 4 that Ford did major development on just for the strip. One of our members that passed built the engines for them and they were not legal my any means. They are a perceived performance car but are not for sure unless you invested a fortune in them.

When the rich got the idea that a muscle car made them look better is what ruined the car market for the average guy. Even into the 80's they were cheap and could pick them up for cheap.

I am sure there are lots hiding out with guys like me that just bought cars and put them in the barn. We will did off and they will come to light as the family sells them.

David

Back