Suspension Recommendations

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73GrandStang

Reaction score
My Car
'65 Mustang
'72 Mustang
'72 F100
'73 Mustang
'02 Tahoe
I'm going to start working on getting my '73 back on the road soon and I'm slowly trying to piece together a parts list.

When I did the suspension on my '65 (creeping up on 20 years ago) I got a kit from Mustangs Plus after speaking with one of their techs who recommended certain springs (coils and leaf). Sadly, for the life of me, I can't remember what that set up was (4, 4.5, or 5 leaf, mid-eye, standard, or reverse eye, etc) and they're not around anymore.

The plan is to the have a slight rake to it, with the rear end at (or a bit lower than) stock height and the front dropped a bit.

I'm not planning on doing any racing, just some spirited driving, so I don't want/need anything too crazy. I think I'll be doing other upgrades (beefier sway bars, subframe connectors, and TCPs MC and export brace come to mind). The car will mostly be a city driver, and occasional canyon cruiser.

Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

IMO, use ONLY Eaton Detroit Springs springs. You can call them and actually talk to someone or use their website.
I had a very bad experience with so called springs that started to reverse bend after a short time, in other words, they were not made from the proper grade spring steel.

EDIT: added pic to show reverse bend in crap springs.

Attachments

• IMG_1454.1.JPG
    IMG_1454.1.JPG
    462.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
This amount of rake is stock front springs with the Shelby drop via global west negative roll upper a arm with 3 degrees of caster added and 5 leaf rear springs

Front has a bunch of Opentracker parts,but the Shelby drop lowers it.

Attachments

• IMG_4242.jpeg
    IMG_4242.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
This amount of rake is stock front springs with the Shelby drop via global west negative roll upper a arm with 3 degrees of caster added and 5 leaf rear springs

Front has a bunch of Opentracker parts,but the Shelby drop lowers it.
I was under the impression the the "Shelby drop" wasn't a thing for '71-'73s. I know I did it on my '65, but I was under the impression that that had been addressed by Ford by '71...

I was under the impression the the "Shelby drop" wasn't a thing for '71-'73s. I know I did it on my '65, but I was under the impression that that had been addressed by Ford by '71...
It was. Chuck

My thoughts to, but I chatted with global west and they said more was helpful for radial tires

I'm going to start working on getting my '73 back on the road soon and I'm slowly trying to piece together a parts list.

When I did the suspension on my '65 (creeping up on 20 years ago) I got a kit from Mustangs Plus after speaking with one of their techs who recommended certain springs (coils and leaf). Sadly, for the life of me, I can't remember what that set up was (4, 4.5, or 5 leaf, mid-eye, standard, or reverse eye, etc) and they're not around anymore.

The plan is to the have a slight rake to it, with the rear end at (or a bit lower than) stock height and the front dropped a bit.

I'm not planning on doing any racing, just some spirited driving, so I don't want/need anything too crazy. I think I'll be doing other upgrades (beefier sway bars, subframe connectors, and TCPs MC and export brace come to mind). The car will mostly be a city driver, and occasional canyon cruiser.

Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I ran through my suspension a year ago and wouldn't change a thing. I 1st added the 5-leaf rear with a std eye. It was nice till I added the 1" drop spring on the front giving it that "Rake" then the heavy rear leafs rode like an unloaded truck/or jacked up air shock car & it was only a 1" higher in the rear and 1" lower in the front. It was a "teetering" process, every time I changed something it effected the opposing side a bit. I ended up with 3/8" spacers in the front giving it 3/4" just below stock ride height. The stock front springs are .650 the 1" drop springs are .720 thicker and stiffer. Even though I went back up a little it's nice and rigid around the corners. When I brought the front back up, I needed 3/4" more on the rear, so I added 1 1/2" more than the stock shackle (ends up 3/4"). While I was adding the spacers on the front, I ditched the "new squeaky" saddles with saddles with grease inserts. I have 60 series 15's 245 on front (kind of wide) slight rub hard left down drive with dropped springs no spacers & 275s rear.

Attachments

• IMG_4590.JPG
    IMG_4590.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back