tail shaft bushing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
 Question concerning the tail shaft bushing in the C6 trans. One mechanic that was trying to locate the vibration told me it was the tail shaft bushing. This was based on the following : he grabbed the driveshaft and front u-joint just aft of the tail shaft housing and was able to move the tail shaft up and down app. 1/8" to a 1/4 " . He said that was the problem, worn tail shaft bushing. I had the car at an old school transmission shop. The owner did the same thing and stated, "no problem here, normal movement" Said it has to have some play in it or it would wear out prematurely. After looking at varius sources it seems like there should be no play, that is what the u-joints are for. Who is right ? Thanks

Steve

That bushing should only have a few thousandths of an inch clearance between the drive shaft yoke and the bushing. I have not done a C-6 but manual can be changed in the car with a seal puller and bushing puller. Most parts houses have them for loaner tools if you do not have one. New bushing and seal and if u-joints are old them also while the shaft is out.

I should have also stated that with a manual transmission you can slip the tail shaft housing off with the trans. in the car. I do not know on the C-6 never had to work on one. The housing has to be off so you do not have the shaft in the way to pull the seal and bushing out and install. 

One of our C-6 gurus needs to give you good answer I am no auto guy.

I was in the garage and looked in the Ford manual and yes you can remove the tail shaft housing from the C-6 while in the car just a big mess with the fluid coming out. You will need new gasket, fluid, tail shaft bushing and seal. Hope you have a lift or can have access to one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back