Talk of Torque - Gearbox C4

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaheenk

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Grande Coupe
Not they type that drags a wall with you when you drive through it  , but I am facing a bit of an issue or questions .

I have a c4 mated up to a stock 351 , but have a question around the bellhousing bolts. This is a pan filled MY70 box. The box has been rebuilt by a transmission guy. 

I had to remove the bellhousing today from the box, the 6 bolts that hold the bellhousing and the through the front pump , from what I gather this is fairly standard. 

With the bellhousing off and the pump bolted in loose the rear yoke spins freely , when I bolt the bellhousing up to the specified torque (38ftlb) the yoke does not spin at all , this is obviously in N or gear. 

I had to loosen off the bolts for the rear to spin again, while they not tight they in place...should this be right?

Definitely NOT right. You'll find a thrust washer has dropped down , likely the small #2 endfloat washer on the end of the stator to the forward drum

A pan fill usually has the bellhousing bolted on independent of the pump , case fill uses the pump bolts for the bell

Last edited by a moderator:
Back