Tapping/Clicking Noise

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Coupe
Hoping to get some help. I have a 73 Coupe with a 302 (F code). I have a tapping noise coming from the left side of the engine bay. I can hear it much better when I'm in the car. I had a friend listen and he thinks it's an exhaust leak. I thought it was a valve that needs adjusting. Anyone have experience with this? Is there any practical way to check for an exhaust leak?

Check around the exhaust manifold or header for black soot. Sometimes you can run the car and feel around the exhaust manifold while it is still cool and feel air pulses.

Mike

my experince is a rocker ticking and an exhaust leak sound close.

as vertstang stated check for soot or air pulses around manifold.hedder gaskets are notorious to leak. also check where the exhaust pipe connects to hedder or manifold whatever the case may be.may be just loose bolts there.to find out if rocker, i use a mechanics stethoscope .you can pick them up at autozone on the cheap. or my dad used to use a broom handle lol and put it to ear and engine.the stethoscope really workswell on locating noises in motor. if it is from a rocker have to pull valve cover check them for tightness if tight then maybe a pushrod slightly bent , lifter collapsing, or worse case cam lobe wiping , but u said motor runs fine so i suspect it is going to be an exhaust leak . good luck on finding it. lets us know what ya find.

my experince is a rocker ticking and an exhaust leak sound close.

as vertstang stated check for soot or air pulses around manifold.hedder gaskets are notorious to leak. also check where the exhaust pipe connects to hedder or manifold whatever the case may be.may be just loose bolts there.to find out if rocker, i use a mechanics stethoscope .you can pick them up at autozone on the cheap. or my dad used to use a broom handle lol and put it to ear and engine.the stethoscope really workswell on locating noises in motor. if it is from a rocker have to pull valve cover check them for tightness if tight then maybe a pushrod slightly bent , lifter collapsing, or worse case cam lobe wiping , but u said motor runs fine so i suspect it is going to be an exhaust leak . good luck on finding it. lets us know what ya find.
In my experience with these...exhaust leaks I've had have been pretty consistent over time. In my case, it opens up and just ticks away. Valve train issues I've had usually start as an intermittant noise, sometimes more noticable, sometimes less - then get progressively worse if you ignore them. :(

All GREAT responses. I would like to piggy back on what "mach1 fever" said regarding the checking to eliminate the rocker arms as the source of the noise.

Like his Dad, I always use something from around the house, in this case a piece of hose (water or vacuum works fine).

With the engine running, put one end of the hose on the valve cover and the other to your ear. If the noise is coming from that area, it should be enhanced.

Hope this helps.

BT

Hoping to get some help. I have a 73 Coupe with a 302 (F code). I have a tapping noise coming from the left side of the engine bay. I can hear it much better when I'm in the car. I had a friend listen and he thinks it's an exhaust leak. I thought it was a valve that needs adjusting. Anyone have experience with this? Is there any practical way to check for an exhaust leak?
Definitely want to thank you all for taking the time to help me out. All the posts were very informative and I'm sure they'll be helpful. I've gotta say this site offers a wealth of information on a subject I know we all love... our Mustangs. Thanks guys.

If you are running headers check your header flange. I had that trouble on my Mach. The top bolt is a bear to tighten because of clearance, and I was leaking out of there.

Jim

Tn where do you find these awsome web sites.:p

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Back