That sucked!...Movin' on!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone, just want to make this long story not so long, so here goes. I have a tail light that Mike made. I spoke with him last summer about taking over the project and asked him to send me all of the components he had to make them (which I helped design through email). He never sent me anything, no surprise there, but I did reach out to The J and asked to get the prototype that was sent to him to build the led boards for. I have not had any time to start casting any lenses yet, but I do have a finished lens that Mike made and have some liquid molding to make them. I really am not sure if I plan to produce them for other people as I am active duty and that takes a lot of my time outside of my family. However I had planned on reaching out to the guys that actually paid Mike and seeing if they still wanted a set for the cost of material and shipping. Thats what I got, what do you guys think?
Nik, so you have a set from The J but you made no mention of the molds. Even if you had time, how would you cast a lens w/o the molds?

Am I missing something? Producing the molds is the difficult part and most likely the part that exasperated Mike. One would assume molds could be made from your set BUT since The J hadn't completed an led board to fit, we are not 100% sure the set you have is ideal. At this point without the molds for a little more R&D, all we have is a pretty nice mock up. IMHO, the molds are crucial towards further development. (to clarify...this is my opinion based on the assumption of a limited sales market from which to recoup R&D costs)

Again IMHO, where we need creativity, at this point, is acquiring the molds from Mike. ANYONE, have any ideas ?????

Eric

I have the only actual working set installed on my green 72, I did do a write up on how I installed them. I have the facility -knowledge-and experience to make the molds then get them produced. The thing thats held me back is I would have to use the ones installed on the car something I really don't want to do use at this point. Otherwise it would require making the plug from scratch lots more work for sure. If you guys are willing to send me the set you have I can make molds from those then send them back. Once we have the molds there's a few different options available for making them. I can have a rough mold done within a week.

IMG_1692.JPG

I have the materials to make new molds off the finished lens that I do have. I have a molding box made as well, I just have to prep the lens (fix some small imperfections and do a light sanding of it to make it perfectly smooth. Sorry, that's what I meant by liquid molding, I am going to use Smooth On Oomoo mold to make them, then pour a crystal clear liquid casting resin in the mold to make new lenses. My goal is to get a few miles made so that I can make multiple lenses if the demand is there. And if I do decide to produce them, I will not charge anyone until a set is made and ready to ship to them. Hope that clears it up a little. I tried my best to get all the original parts from Mike (multiple emails and even trying to get his number from someone else) but it left me with nothing.

Hey everyone, just want to make this long story not so long, so here goes. I have a tail light that Mike made. I spoke with him last summer about taking over the project and asked him to send me all of the components he had to make them (which I helped design through email). He never sent me anything, no surprise there, but I did reach out to The J and asked to get the prototype that was sent to him to build the led boards for. I have not had any time to start casting any lenses yet, but I do have a finished lens that Mike made and have some liquid molding to make them. I really am not sure if I plan to produce them for other people as I am active duty and that takes a lot of my time outside of my family. However I had planned on reaching out to the guys that actually paid Mike and seeing if they still wanted a set for the cost of material and shipping. Thats what I got, what do you guys think?
Nik, so you have a set from The J but you made no mention of the molds. Even if you had time, how would you cast a lens w/o the molds?

Am I missing something? Producing the molds is the difficult part and most likely the part that exasperated Mike. One would assume molds could be made from your set BUT since The J hadn't completed an led board to fit, we are not 100% sure the set you have is ideal. At this point without the molds for a little more R&D, all we have is a pretty nice mock up. IMHO, the molds are crucial towards further development. (to clarify...this is my opinion based on the assumption of a limited sales market from which to recoup R&D costs)

Again IMHO, where we need creativity, at this point, is acquiring the molds from Mike. ANYONE, have any ideas ?????

Eric

I have the only actual working set installed on my green 72, I did do a write up on how I installed them. I have the facility -knowledge-and experience to make the molds then get them produced. The thing thats held me back is I would have to use the ones installed on the car something I really don't want to do use at this point. Otherwise it would require making the plug from scratch lots more work for sure. If you guys are willing to send me the set you have I can make molds from those then send them back. Once we have the molds there's a few different options available for making them. I can have a rough mold done within a week.
Once I am done with the lens I have from the j, I plan on sending him a pair as payment for letting me borrow the lens to make the mold. I could send it to you so that you could make your own molds. I am not really interested in the production for money aspect of this. I just want the lenses on my car and maybe a few spare to have around. We can talk this out in PM if you want to Scott.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nik: thanks for stepping up and putting yourself out there regarding this project. As well, thanks to Eric, Scott and The J (in whatever capacity he chooses to participate) for resurrecting the idea and the discussion.

If it does come to these becoming available, please count me in for a set. Regardless of what the materials + shipping costs actually end up becoming, make sure to also program your time into the asking price - having been active duty and still currently affiliated with the Air Force myself, your spare time is valuable and definitely worth compensation (especially since serving in the military is definitely not a money-making venture). It's a noble thing you've proposed regarding the expenses, but fair is fair after all - it's not your responsibility to make up for any past misgivings or improprieties... providing a way forward for interested folks to have the lenses as promised is a huge undertaking and very appreciated.

Please put me down for a pair.

I've already been screwed by Mike for $500.

What's a few more hundred bucks ?

Bru

Glad to see this rolling again...it just needed a fresh new start and look how quick I got up to the front of the line!!! Of course, all you original suckas, who lost money, can go first... ::tease:: ::devil::

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that I do plan on getting these things done, time is my only issue. I think that if I can get a couple molds made and then just start casting a bunch, then I can get on a roll. I need suggestions though. What is the best product to use for making the lens that will hold up to uv and not discolor? The lens has a portion that is clear and I started making led boards a while back and got one finished and mostly working. I am going to make a promise to all of you right now, if I say I will make you a set, you will get a set. Period. I don't want to start committing to people just yet, but give me time. This will come to fruition ok! Thanks for being patient!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So today I decided that I should move forward with making the molds for new lenses. The result is a total disaster, the molding silicon I have turns out to be over two years old according to a tech that I called from the company, I have only had it for like a couple of months. It did not mix well but my eager ass decided to try to pour it over the lens anyway. Stupid idea. It was one of those "I know it's probably not gonna work, but I have come this far and maybe it will" moments. The picture explains it all. Next step is to buy more stuff and try again I guess.

image.jpeg

So today I decided that I should move forward with making the molds for new lenses. The result is a total disaster, the molding silicon I have turns out to be over two years old according to a tech that I called from the company, I have only had it for like a couple of months. It did not mix well but my eager ass decided to try to pour it over the lens anyway. Stupid idea. It was one of those "I know it's probably not gonna work, but I have come this far and maybe it will" moments. The picture explains it all. Next step is to buy more stuff and try again I guess.
...a few more trials like that and you'll be asking for donations...:shootself:

the only way to get a stable lens product will be making a professional injection mold and then having a plastic house manufacture them.

all the different resins will not hold up to exterior use with UV beating on it for years.

Lexan vacuum forming would work but you will need to invest in a professional vacuum table setup, and you will need to make the positives for the mold using plaster of paris.

or better would be investing in a cnc milled aluminum blank that you can pull 1000s of pull of lexan over. there are also different types of lexan that would need to be researched.

you will get into DOT certification as well since it will be a product mass produced for a car. it has to pass certain tests.

silicon does have a shelf life of less then a year. usually there is a date printed on the packaging letting you know the month of manufacture.

I've done many castings and pours over the years. to remove bubbles from a clear pour you will need a vaccum chamber as well.

i have a small chamber for my pours

63b10e24036edddb6943729bc50cdb77_zps36d0462a.jpg

the only way to get a stable lens product will be making a professional injection mold and then having a plastic house manufacture them.

all the different resins will not hold up to exterior use with UV beating on it for years.

Lexan vacuum forming would work but you will need to invest in a professional vacuum table setup, and you will need to make the positives for the mold using plaster of paris.

or better would be investing in a cnc milled aluminum blank that you can pull 1000s of pull of lexan over. there are also different types of lexan that would need to be researched.

you will get into DOT certification as well since it will be a product mass produced for a car. it has to pass certain tests.

silicon does have a shelf life of less then a year. usually there is a date printed on the packaging letting you know the month of manufacture.

I've done many castings and pours over the years. to remove bubbles from a clear pour you will need a vaccum chamber as well.

True dat Dan! Any other way is just silly, although we could be in for another interesting season of "DIY Tail Lights @ the 7173"...

Seriously, does anyone really know how to get this done?...like really done...like with a serious sequential circuit board and a lens that won't be yellow and brittle in 2 years. To proceed without a REAL plan is ridiculous, if not comical. (no offense Nik) Enthusiasm must be paired with experience on this go around. Pick the right path first, with the advice of those in the know and then let's get enthusiastic!

For the sequential light setup, why not just grab one for an earlier Mustang, I have a 67 along with the 73 and bought a sequential setup that works great. I know there are quite a few offerings out there, a few with separate boards even that should work

plaster of paris.
BINGO YOU WIN !!!!!

Exactly the plan

PS DONT FORGET THE MOLD RELEASE ON THE LENS

True dat Dan! Any other way is just silly, although we could be in for another interesting season of "DIY Tail Lights @ the 7173"...

Seriously, does anyone really know how to get this done?...like really done...like with a serious sequential circuit board and a lens that won't be yellow and brittle in 2 years. To proceed without a REAL plan is ridiculous, if not comical. (no offense Nik) Enthusiasm must be paired with experience on this go around. Pick the right path first, with the advice of those in the know and then let's get enthusiastic!
No offense taken, I know I am not the best suited for this project, which is why I really have no interest in producing them for others. I just have liked the idea from the beginning and want a pair for my car, DOT approved or not. Anyway, there is a plan in play and you will all be informed soon I am sure. Thanks for helping kickstart this, I have had the lens for a few months, but haven't done anything with it because of all of the other projects on my car that needed to be completed first.

Thats a pretty cool setup, I have done my research and know the super correct way of doing this, I just don't have the means (time or money), so figured I would give it a shot the old school way, pour a mold and when it dries fill it with resin. Thanks for the input!

Back