1971 Mustang 351c 2v Power Steering Pump Removal Replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1971stang

Reaction score
Is there a PDF or Video regarding the procedure to Remove Power Steering Pump on a 1971 Mustang Grande 351 Cleveland ?

Can you just remove the Pulley with a Puller (maybe from NPD) and then the Pump w/ 3 Bolts both Hoses and leave the Bracket in with the fixed Long Bolt or does the whole entire assembly need to be removed ?

I ordered a rebuilt Cardone and was also wondering if I am likely to run into Fitting or Connector problem since seen other guys go through several installation iterations before finally acquiring the right pump.

Just got done with refurbished Ford Water Pump, Carter Fuel Pump and put everything back together and was working on Transmission Coolant Lines and next up new ACP Brass Copper 3-row Radiator and thought to myself, wow this Power Steering Pump leaks quite a bit while I am down here and looks pretty old and dented up...But then again I've read or heard even the rebuilts tend to leak unless you get a new Borgeson and then they don't fit or line up correctly with the existing pulleys and stand out...

Any advice from those whom have already divided and conquered the Power Steering Pump dealio ?

I am honestly pretty set on just removing the old one and replacing it with the Cardone, just need the basic recommended Steps to do so, since the video I watched looked more like a Horror Story, anything but reasonably easy...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, the same.  If you have factory air, you can move the compressor to the side to pull the pump out.  If not, no worries.  If you are replacing it with an aftermarket or GM style, the bracket may be in the way.  I have the stock setup on mine with a/c.  I've gazed longingly at those serpentine systems.  Gotta save......  The water pump runs off that belt if you have a 351C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys--

I'm just getting started replacing my power steering pump on my 73' 351 2v. I have the shop manual, but I am confused as to how to get the 3 front bolts holding to pump on to the mounting bracket. I can get a wrench on them, but the pulley is so close to the bolts that I can't possibly get them unscrewed anymore. Does the pulley have to come off first (while the pump is installed?) I just can't seem to find another way, but none of the 2 manuals I am using say you need to remove the pulley first.

Thanks in advance!

As Chris noted, remove the pump from the car first. Remove the pressure line, the return line, then the adjuster bolt and finally the pivot bolt. If yours is a non-AC car, there will be a thick steel spacer behind the pump bracket.

So you need to remove the pulley before removing the power steering pump?
That is affirmative. The only way to access the three pump bolts is to remove the pulley. It would make things much easier to remove the pump and bracket and remove the pulley on a bench. Don’t forget to mount the new pump on the bracket BEFORE you install the pulley otherwise you’ll be removing the pulley for a second time all the while cussing up a storm!

I think I understand what you are asking.

1) I suggest removing the washer fluid reservoir first, so you have a lot more room.
2) Remove both lines from the back of the pump
3) Remove the small bolt that locks the belt tension and the long pivot bolt.
4) Remove the pump and the surrounding bracket together.
5) Follow the instructions provided in the PDF earlier.

Reverse for re-install.

Kcmash

1971stang,
Before you remove the pulley, pay particular attention to the relationship between the pulley face and the pump shaft, I usually measure with a dial caliper and record this, have even seen some past flush.
Failure to do this can result belt squealing.

Back