The old topic -trunk lid seal - how to close?!?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
After I installed the Daniel Carpenter trunk seal (without air holes) correctly I cannot get the trunk closed. I applied some pressure from above, nothing. Slamming does also nothing, the lid bounces back. The trunk lid is adjusted in line perfeclty, the lock and lock catch in the trunk are also in line and I adjusted them that they could "find" each other easily and then torqued the bolts from the inside. Also the lock catch I aligned it all out so it would have been an easy catch for the lock. Nevertheless the rubber is so stiff - do I have apply so much brute force?!? I know that there were some advices in the past for burning some holes in the rubber for a more easy-out of the air trapped in the rubber-channel. Is this the real thing? Had the original seal these holes? After burning them in did someone experience a better closing? 

After so many years in this forum I know it is a common problem. But nobody has posted a definite solution or a success update how it went in the end. 

Would be happy to hear a feedback. Such little problems which eat hours are enerving - I have to spend these time on so many other spots on the car...  :classic_mellow:

I recently replaced the one I installed in 2006. Didn't add any holes, but did leave about an 1/8" gap at the butt ends by the latch to allow air to escape. If you butt those ends, the seal becomes a balloon. I installed the seal and left the trunk closed for a couple weeks. It's still a bit tough to close, but with the right effort it's not a problem. 

One thing many miss is to lubricate the seals with silicone. 

That sounds like a good option. The butt ends of my rubber seal are to close together and if I press the lid I hear some kind of air wants to escape... So I will have a look on it and work out a larger gap. Then left it closed after I restored my tail lamps and side markers. 

What's the thing with the silicone? Is it meant to soften the rubber and to let it be smooth like the usual rubber seal conditioners? 

Silicone acts as a lubricant allowing the seal to slide across the painted surfaces. Helps more with door seals and such, but I apply it to the trunk seal as well. 

I put a new seal in mine (no holes) and adjusted the catch. It takes a bit of a push, note quite a slam to get it to close. Nice and tight seal on mine. 

I have not added any glue / silicone to mine. Fits into the channel fairly well. If rubbed or knocked it will pop out, but I just put up with it and push it back in place.

I put a new seal in mine (no holes) and adjusted the catch. It takes a bit of a push, note quite a slam to get it to close. Nice and tight seal on mine. 

I have not added any glue / silicone to mine. Fits into the channel fairly well. If rubbed or knocked it will pop out, but I just put up with it and push it back in place.
Thanks, Dennis! 

So I will look for a wider gap on the rubber butts and will looking forward to a then hopefully closed lid! 

Back