thermostat housing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 convertible with 351C and C6 trans
housing had leak, pulled and replaced gasket and hose last week. didn't start engine and ck'd yesterday and still a small leak. so i'm getting a new housing.. but i see O'ring and gasket type... which do u prefer ?? the one on now is o'ring but i added a gasket...no luck.. was thinking of a slightly thicker gasket.. thoughts on that to.

I have an Edelbrock intake, and it seems the outlet is maybe 1/4 inch lower. This caused me thermostat problems…I ended up getting one that uses the flat gasket and angles up at a 45 degree angle. Even then it was so close the the water pump assembly I could not get a hose and hose clamp on. So I ground the wall of the tube thinner with a belt sander. Also used thermostat/water pump sealer in a tube to enhance the paper gasket seal…

Good choice from Rock Auto. I ran the chrome ones with the O ring gasket for years on my Model A and probably had to replace them every few years. I recently replaced the chrome with a stock style polished aluminum with a gasket.
Thanks, Jay

The replacement housing is a good place to start. Our 73 Mustang Convertible has a 302 2v in it, and I had to replace the water pump the other year (coolant leak from water pump impeller shaft, of course). But, the thermostat housing cover and pump impeller outlet shaft seal has a lot of moisture,and the outlet housing had some surface had a lot of crusty, white corrosion on it. I initially tried to smooth out the corrosion by sanding it off. What a PITA that turned out to be, even if briefly. No sooner than I started to sand off the hard buildup I decided it was well worth getting a new housing, and pulling the original cover.

No O-Ring was offered the the unit I received, just a standard gasket. I picked up some silicone adhesive let, and Joe (son) watch. Then I applied a thin coat of Permatex Silicone adhesive to one side of the housing gasket and pressed into position on the new thermostat housing on the gasket side only. In a few hours I confirmed the one gasket I just replaced was looking really good, where the silicone I had applied to the one gasket side was slight cured on the skin of the silicone surface. I then applied the Permatex Silicone to the other side of the thermostat gasket, and installed the replacement water pump.. Then I dropped in the new water pump, while Lynda recorded the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98nUsQGeJUk

Anyway, whether recommended or not, Permatex silicone is fine this kind of repair. No reason except so rarely need it..

pulled the housing and WOW... u could drive a car under the ark. replaced with the motorad and all is good now. damn i pulled it twice and never looked at housing to see if flat.. lesson learned . changed oil/filter and fogged engine and now it's beddy bye time till spring.

Back