Thought I'd discuss the next 12-14 months

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New intake manifold and carb were installed last weekend. What a great improvement. The throttle response is amazing.

This weekend, I will be putting new rotors and pads on the front brakes, and will be fixing the parking break, which needed a new front cable.

I also just ordered a Ram Air kit from Don at Ohio Mustang Supply. If any of you have experience with installing one, please share. Originally I was worried about the height of the carb after I swapped In the Edelbrock performer intake and the Edelbrock thunder series carb... But the Edelbrock combination is actually lower than the factory setup, so I may just need a spacer for the carb.

A week or 2 ago, I ordered a wide ratio AOD transmission from Silverfox Performance Transmissions, and have found a local tranny shop willing to do the conversion from the FMX... Just need to order some conversion parts, like Lokar TV cable and an AOD yoke.

I hope to have all this done by Memorial Day weekend.

Forgot to mention my concern about installing the hood plenum... The PO installed classic air cond. system, and the compressor sits really high in the engine compartment...
Hey ram air shipped today - Thanks for the purchase

Shipping was a little less than you paid so I refunded some money back.

The ram air install will probably be the easist thing you put in the car - other than when you slide your butt into the seat :D

If you have questions, I'm here - email, PM or call

Don

CZ-75,

Here is a website in South Carolina that has a lot good info. They have an electronic box that one can adapt the electronic AOD. This will do away with the dreaded TV cable. Ford's AOD-E and 4R70W transmissions are undoubtedly the best choice for a street performance small-block transmission. Affording all of the advantages of an old AOD transmission, plus increased strength, greater reliability, and (for the first time) complete electronic control of all transmission functions.

source: Baumann Electronic Controls

web site control systems: http://www.usshift.com/

mustang7173

Hahaha, Don... I am 6'2" and weigh 300lbs... There ain't nothin easy about sliding my butt into the seat. Thanks for the partial refund on lower shipping! It is a pleasure doing business with honest people.

I may just start installation on Saturday if it gets here by then.

7173mustang, I thought a little bit about going to electronic control, especially just going to they 4R70W rather than a modified wide ratio AOD, but decided against it mostly because I hadn't seen too much on the net about Baumann.

Hopefully I won't regret my decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
CZ-75,

Here is a website in South Carolina that has a lot good info. They have an electronic box that one can adapt the electronic AOD. This will do away with the dreaded TV cable. Ford's AOD-E and 4R70W transmissions are undoubtedly the best choice for a street performance small-block transmission. Affording all of the advantages of an old AOD transmission, plus increased strength, greater reliability, and (for the first time) complete electronic control of all transmission functions.

source: Baumann Electronic Controls

web site control systems: http://www.usshift.com/

mustang7173
These sites are AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing! Now, I almost wish I had an AOD-E instead of my TV cable-controlled chunk - but there's good info for beefing up and extending the life of AODs on the Baumann site as well. Worth a look if you have, or are thinking about having, an AOD in your ride.

Ya...I would have that rear checked out too...You dont wanna loose a wheel bearing while going down the road and have you're tire fall off while going 70 ..lol...Mine was making noise and i thought maybe it just the old gear set...But it got slightly louder as time went by..Sounded like a swishy air noise almost...I told my dad and he had to tell me about having a tire and axle fly out while he was going down the road..And big crash "spooked me a bit" like he said.....Not worth it.....I took it in for a check up and sure enough...needed new wheel bearings pressed in...Only costed me 100 bucks to have it fixed..."but that was 3 years ago"..Gave me a bit of safety and got rid of my worry..lol

Latest posts

Back