Timing/Ignition questions.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm out of ideas. I'd love to know what it turns out to be, something stupidly simple probably.

I might learn something as well from it.
I sent Jason a message.  I just realized I had a similar issue with a different carb and the problem was the high speed idle and choke were not set up correctly.  I could not get the car to run without staying on the gas petal -of course until it was warmed up.  

Might be too simple but maybe he doesn't have the initial  highbspeed idle and choke set right.  I'm sure I'm not describing this right.   Also I didn't read the whole thread again and this was probably mentioned already!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
 Could be. I also think he is not letting the engine reach FULL operating temp and one can't do much until it has, especially where the choke is concerned. Am I right?
I think that is what I am trying to say. My own car was doing this over the winter. I thought it was because I had not run it much this winter and either the carb was getting dirty or maybe it drained down making it hard to start. However, I checked the bowls and they were full even after sitting for a while. Had to readjust the choke and the high idle speed and she fired right up. Of course, now with the weather warming up here I am sure I will be revisiting that again.

I sent Jason a message.  I just realized I had a similar issue with a different carb and the problem was the high speed idle and choke were not set up correctly.  I could not get the car to run without staying on the gas petal -of course until it was warmed up.  

Might be too simple but maybe he doesn't have the initial  highbspeed idle and choke set right.  I'm sure I'm not describing this right.   Also I didn't read the whole thread again and this was probably mentioned already!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
 Could be. I also think he is not letting the engine reach FULL operating temp and one can't do much until it has, especially where the choke is concerned. Am I right?
I think that is what I am trying to say. My own car was doing this over the winter. I thought it was because I had not run it much this winter and either the carb was getting dirty or maybe it drained down making it hard to start. However, I checked the bowls and they were full even after sitting for a while. Had to readjust the choke and the high idle speed and she fired right up. Of course, now with the weather warming up here I am sure I will be revisiting that again.
 Aren't these old car fun!! I just found that my Holley has developed some leaks over winter, so I guess I'm going to have to pull it off and replace the gaskets. Other than that it started up ok after a bit of cranking. There is always something we are going to have to do each Spring.

Strangely, the things that were breaking last fall ( the AC compressor that was blowing ice cold air but suddenly started making a knocking sound comes to mind) did not heal themselves over the winter 'rest". What's up with that!?

Strangely, the things that were breaking last fall ( the AC compressor that was blowing ice cold air but suddenly started making a knocking sound comes to mind) did not heal themselves over the winter 'rest".  What's up with that!?
 I'm thinking that is why we buy these cars so we do have excuses not to do yard work etc. when it is finally Spring! I pity you guys who live in warmer climes and don't have such excuses!

Thanks for the replies guys, been stuck at work a lot lately. Haven't had much free time, I'll let you guys know how it goes. As for the temp, pretty sure it's at full temp. After running at 2000 rpm for a few mins I would think it would be there? Last time I messed with it, I did notice the choke flapper was opened up all the way.

Back