Tim's 1973 Mach 1 rebuild thread - it's done in 2023 on it's 50th birthday!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Despite many private problems now I kept on moving as time allows and made short process of weak parts ;)

With a new drilling machine I could finish cleaning the trunk and paint the whole area with "Fertan", it is a rust prevention/converter product.

In the meanwhile I separated the inner and the outer wheel well from each other. As expected there wasn't so much left from the outer one - too much bondo, tin and rust. Luckily most of the inner wheel well had kept its structure so it could be left with some minor repairs to keep the original measurements when changing the quarter panels...

Now it was time for a very threatening part for me: doing the first cut to the original quarter panels! It was like putting a knife on myself. But what have to be done has to be done! Take a deep breath and get to it! After boring out the original welding points on both sides it was ready to do. Result:

Done - puh! The remaining quarter sheet metal was not moving badly towards the inside so that point was good. Next was to attach the new quarter panel and looking for fitment issues. As expected there were some spots that had to be fixed. Named the section which is pushed in above the end of the rocker panel. That was to long so we fixed that. Next was the part under the rear light. There it was to much sheet metal so it had to be cut right - nothing serious. All in all the new quarter panel part is better than expected. A little tweak here and there and it fits quite good. Only major issue is the fitment of the side marker cutouts. The original side marker frames do not have the same good fitment because of the pressed structure of the new quarter panel which is slightly different from the original one. Same as on the new fenders. But with a small hammer and a file it will be quite good. The original ones weren't perfect either...!

That has to be tweaked better...

Fender fitment is almost done and better than quarter panels...

Too bad sheet metal has to go, upper structure is good ... ;)

Passenger side cutout - now you could drive to the DIY-market and transport some serious long pieces... :D

Sandy as on the coast and a whole bucket of original seam sealer in it

Almost nothing to do on the left - great :p

But: found another rust nest on the drivers side - b-pillar - damn :mad:

Hopefully the last now on this car. Passengers side is perfect on this spot. Ok, it is also doable... :-/

Measurements ;)

After that my buddy Oliver went to hospital and will be diseased a few weeks so we stopped here with the big sheet metal works. In 2-3 weeks I think we could go on and weld the missing parts together...

In the meanwhile I sanded the hood a bit and experienced some new colors :D Obviously it was painted twice with tutone-color and gold on the original gold glow. Then with blue and then pink - now the hood can breathe again :D

It is dead straight except a wider but not deep dent on the passengers side - good news. Now it will be hand sanded in the next step...

But first I had to finish the back area with rust prevention primer (Brantho Korrux) before doing further paint work preparation - done :D

Yes, it is me - but who is my father...

So far so good. Some missing sheet metal spots will be added before doing the quarter panels. Not to forget seam sealer. Hoping to continue soon...

Nice work. Keep it up. Ryan

Looks great Tim! NICE, NICE, NICE,

Thank you very much, Joe ::thumb::

Our conversation was very inspiring so I have done the first step. The next on the side panels will follow as soon as my buddy is more healthy...

Your progress on your now magnetic metallic gray car is fantastic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tim, everything looks very good:bravo:

Great Job!! keep it up!

Wird bestimmt richtig "Geil"

VG

Juergen

Riiischdiiisch Tim :wrench:lollerz

Tim, looks like you are not busy, so the plan is that i don't come to Germany with an empty trailer but with another Mach 1 to keep you busy ;)

Nice work, congrats!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yiiihaaa, guys!

I moved one step further in my big restoration theme and had the passenger side quarter panel welded in last friday! It was an overwhelming moment - especially after hours and hours aligning and preparing the sheet metal to proper fitment. These metal sheets are not an out-of-the-box-fitment - but never thought that anyway :D All in all I can say that it was quite successful, it fits really good now and we had welded it in without any greater warpage ::thumb::

Hopefully we find time soon to do the other side :p

To be continued soon... ;)

Back