Tim's 1973 Mach 1 rebuild thread - it's done in 2023 on it's 50th birthday!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Jeff and John:

Hehehe, yes, you are right lollerz

That's about the same my wife, my parents and some friends called it - late 60ies tie-dye-style :D

They even said I should conserve it like this... Nope :p

Ok, if it was an old Ford Pickup like an F1, that it would have style but my big body - nooooooo... ;)

@mudbilly:

thank you - glad you like it ::thumb::

I think the vinyl roof looks really cool. It makes the blackout on the hood make more sense. What grit paper are you using on your sander to make that artwork? Great thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

thank you ::thumb::

Yes, I am in the same sense - together with all the black parts like the hood, the rear louvers, the stripes and the spoilers it looks like it must be there ;)

I first sand the first layers down with a disk-type or orbital sander with 120 grit paper, dry. After that I am sanding the spots in which I couldn't have sanded with the machine with blocks and 120 grit by hand. After that I use 180 grit and then 240, all by hand and with some blocks. Then you have a quite good surface before applying the primer.

Just sat down with a coffee after dinner and read this entire thread. Very nice work! Your determination is what helps keep these old girls on the road! Cheers

Last edited:
Tim,

Glad you found the vinyl top trim. I have been looking for months and not seen any. Great to get rid of all that old paint before you put down new. 43 year old paint is not a good place to start for sure. Since you didn't have hood locks maybe they screwed up at factory and painted the black out and had to go back and paint just the car color. I have a Maverick I bought new and it was painted twice at factory must have been really bad or something wrong.

Looking like you are making a lot of progress just keep going and the end will come.

David

David,

thank you for your encouraging words :goodpost:

I kept on going as you said and made some more progress: sanding, sanding, until the doctor comes: D

I opened the left side - first it looked as if I can get way better there ... But that was just "better" hidden than on the passenger side - the same spots as on the right side have to be replaced. Good thing is the sheets of metal have arrived now - without dents and pretty good quality.

Here I first removed the first paint layers - as an extra for you I took one picture for you in this stage - one for the Hippie-Tie-Dye-1968-guys :D

At this stage I still thought that would not be too bad:

To rest my knees, I then made the roof - I just wanted to see no more pink: mrgreen:

The spot that stands out from the color especially was wavy and weird - the previous owner said once there fell something onto it and then he repaired it his style. Well - I was very excited ... Odd efflorescences made themselves visible. And then? Nothing - all the best to the original paint - good roof - bingo :D

Then it went to the next stage - now more to see of the metal meltdown (you know "Judas Priest"?) ...

Here is original tin - there was bondo too one time and then it was repainted 2 times in gold. The car was a total of 3 times painted in gold before the other colors came over it. Not bad... :mrgreen: I think that back in the good old times the original tin has sunk down or torn or ... and then they primed, bondoed and painted it gold again. Anyway, I have the spot nicely smoothed with the long sanding board - the rest does primer, filler and Co. afterwards next weeks...

For relaxing I then sanded the side panels (or "Fastback") a little - worked quite well and is a nice feeling to prepare the surface like that:

On the b-pillar it is important for me that the original bead remains. Luckily there was primer, bondo and wild tinning only beneath. Since the lower part is full of holes anyway and the wheel arch left of it until the bottom has its best days gone I will cut it below that. I do not want to know in detail what is underneath anymore...

Next week to be continued :)

From time to time I enjoy working with my dad. Not often possible but when it is a pleasure for me to share our passion with the man who brought me to that cars since I was a baby... ;)

His vert needs some TLC now - first we replaced the rear drum brake pads and wheel cylinders, next will be the master cylinder (first one delivered was the wrong one :-/ ), some hoses and little here and there. After spending his vert some new concourse correct battery cables his lights shines more bright - and the eyes of my father too :D

Before:

During:

After:

looks much better. Hope you and your Dad get to spend lots of time enjoying your passion together

That's cool that you and your dad enjoy the same hobby and are able to spend time together working on the car. He has a nice looking vert.

It's always good to spend time with Dad.

That's cool. My dad and I unfortunately do not share a single interest. :(
Thank you, guys! Yes, I enjoy it very much and hope we are able to spend as much time as possible together! Working on our cars togehter is the most exciting thing for me with my dad and fills me with proud that I can give him something back with my knowledge on Mustangs. Btw: his Mustang is one absolutely original q-code-car from 1973, a true survivor with all original paint and it's a T5 ::thumb::

Hi guys,

it's time for updating :whistling:

After recovering from my bad crash I had some little time to work on anyway. So I cared about the rear of my big buddy - specific the rear panel and the trunk. Besides some pin-holes nothing serious - I was surprised positive ;)

Let the pictures speak from itself!

There I started

Then it was all pure metal - no dents, no bad repair-experiment - nothing but some pin holes ::thumb::

Passenger side

Driver side

Now repaired by welding and sanding

Passenger side

Driver side

I even could restore some rusted out parts of the driprail - never made that before but with trial and a sensitive hand I had succes ::thumb::

After that I made short work of the trunk floor - there were also only some small pin holes which easily could filled by welding.

I only could not finish the small rest of the trunk floor - my sanding-tool, the drilling machine, gave up. So sometimes your tools say to you when it is time to go to bed :D

Next week I will buy a new (cheap) one for the dirty work to protect my good one and then the trunk floor will come to a good end ;)

In parallel I drill out the original welding points as a preparation for restoring my quarter panels. It works like a charm - on the rear ends. On the downside of the quarter panels, where the outer panel meets the trunk floor, it is more difficult to find the right point drilling out the original welding points. But that will be another story... ;)

Happy Easter, guys :thankyouyellow:

Looks like you've been busy. Keep up the good work. Ryan

Back