TMI one piece headliner install help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For anyone that installed the TMI one piece headliner do you leave the pieces on the sides above the door that originally held the bows and coat hooks? Or do you remove them? I have them out and the headliner seems to fit properly and if I put those pieces in they seem to be in the way? Picture of piece I’m talking about.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
Thanks. I just put mine bac, in and they fit fine. Now I’m wondering how the rear sails go in and if I’m missing any pieces back there. I didn’t disassemble the car. I bought with it all apart.

Attachments

• E79F3E02-5AF0-4D5F-AE86-9704D0B26451.jpeg
    E79F3E02-5AF0-4D5F-AE86-9704D0B26451.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 21
The rear sails need to go in before the rear window. You will need to glue them on the window flange, and there is a clip they clip onto. I have circled the clip on your car. You need to remove it on put it on the sail first. I also drew a line where the sale material gets glued. The bottoms are held in by the panels.

Other Member Sail.jpg

Nope - just put the sail panels in-place, glue to the rear window opening accordingly, then the quarter panel and quarter window trim pieces will take care of the rest. That little floppy part at the rear gets tucked behind the rear deck piece, and the rear window gasket makes the edge for the window.
headliner1.jpg

Sorry, I don't have any better pics of this
interior5.jpg

No those pictures are great reference. I see how it looks now and also see I’m missing quite a few of the trim pieces that go around the edges. After a quick search it doesn’t look like anyone reproduces them either.

Great advice and instructions on installing the sail panels. When I was doing mine and realized that I still had to remove the rear windshield to install the sail panels, I called TMI directly because the instructions said it was not necessary. They said one of their engineers would call me back to walk me through installation without removal of the rear windshield, I never got that phone call. Good luck.

Tom

So far, I'm generally happy with the TMI one-piece headliner. One thing though... I think they used a late 1971 (or after) Mustang as their mold. For us, I needed to cut a large rectangular hole for the early 71 dome light bulb and slot the holes for the four dome light mounting holes (they were about 1/8" off).

So far, I'm generally happy with the TMI one-piece headliner. One thing though... I think they used a late 1971 (or after) Mustang as their mold. For us, I needed to cut a large rectangular hole for the early 71 dome light bulb and slot the holes for the four dome light mounting holes (they were about 1/8" off).
Yep. I trimmed the dome light itself and used an LED panel in the fixture.

took me a bit to find the holes to mount it.

I ended up just using a small round hobby file and filing until it was vertical

The rear sails need to go in before the rear window. You will need to glue them on the window flange, and there is a clip they clip onto. I have circled the clip on your car. You need to remove it on put it on the sail first. I also drew a line where the sale material gets glued. The bottoms are held in by the panels.

View attachment 65739

do these clips get attached to the back of the sail panel or go trough it? I see a little section on the back of the TMI sail panels that is just the material as if it was supposed to punch through it.

do these clips get attached to the back of the sail panel or go trough it? I see a little section on the back of the TMI sail panels that is just the material as if it was supposed to punch through it.
There is a tab that the clip goes in. You can see it on the attached picture.

IMG_2195.JPG

I haven't done mine yet (need to replace the rear window seal first), but I don't think you punch through it. I'm pretty sure you slide the clip into the beigey plastic thing in @Kilgon's picture, then push it into the hole on the car.

I haven't done mine yet (need to replace the rear window seal first), but I don't think you punch through it. I'm pretty sure you slide the clip into the beigey plastic thing in @Kilgon's picture, then push it into the hole on the car.
You are correct - the clip goes into the tab. The material is to pull the precut tab up. See pic
1658196465304.png

View attachment 65739
I'm thinking of doing the one piece headliner from TMI and I'm missing the tack strips for the factory type headliner. It looks like it will cost me about $100 for a set of used tack strips. I figure I can forget them and put that money into the added cost of the one piece headliner. In the photo though, it looks like those tack strips actually hold the one piece headliner in place. Is that correct? Also, does TMI leave holes for the things like the coat hooks or sunvisor brackets or seat belts? Is it hard to find the correct location for the holes? Is the plastic hard to cut into for mounting the dome light? I bet the one piece will really cut down on the interior heat in the summer. Thoughts? I'm assuming the factory headliner rods are left out for the installation of the one piece. Correct? Lastly, Damn! Scratch this. I thought this was a good deal considering the savings in labor cost, then I got the quote on the shipping and tax!!!

Subtotal

$566.83

Shipping

$245.00

Sales Tax (8.00%)

$45.35

Total

$857.18

Kevken - I have the TMI one-piece headliner, and as far as I can recall, the tack strips are unnecessary. The back edge is tucked under the rubber window gasket.

Also - the headliner does NOT come with pre-cut holes for seat belts or coat hooks. However, the holes for the sun visors were precut in the one I purchased.

I'm thinking of doing the one piece headliner from TMI and I'm missing the tack strips for the factory type headliner. It looks like it will cost me about $100 for a set of used tack strips. I figure I can forget them and put that money into the added cost of the one piece headliner. In the photo though, it looks like those tack strips actually hold the one piece headliner in place. Is that correct? Also, does TMI leave holes for the things like the coat hooks or sunvisor brackets or seat belts? Is it hard to find the correct location for the holes? Is the plastic hard to cut into for mounting the dome light? I bet the one piece will really cut down on the interior heat in the summer. Thoughts? I'm assuming the factory headliner rods are left out for the installation of the one piece. Correct? Lastly, Damn! Scratch this. I thought this was a good deal considering the savings in labor cost, then I got the quote on the shipping and tax!!!

Subtotal

$566.83

Shipping

$245.00

Sales Tax (8.00%)

$45.35

Total

$857.18
Installed the one piece TMI in a 67. I put cut off screws and bolts in the coat hooks, seat belt and dome light holes. After I cut off the screw/bolt heads I sharpened them and left enough sticking out so they would poke back through the headliner for location. I did the dome light first and worked my way out. Once the dome light screws are located it is easy to see where the hole for the wire needs to be made.

Kevken - I have the TMI one-piece headliner, and as far as I can recall, the tack strips are unnecessary. The back edge is tucked under the rubber window gasket.

Also - the headliner does NOT come with pre-cut holes for seat belts or coat hooks. However, the holes for the sun visors were precut in the one I purchased.
Excellent. Thanks 71coop.
Installed the one piece TMI in a 67. I put cut off screws and bolts in the coat hooks, seat belt and dome light holes. After I cut off the screw/bolt heads I sharpened them and left enough sticking out so they would poke back through the headliner for location. I did the dome light first and worked my way out. Once the dome light screws are located it is easy to see where the hole for the wire needs to be made.
Awesome. Thanks Hotstang!

Back