TMI sail panels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Green on green 72 Mach 1
For those who are using TMI sail panels have you done something better for mounting the clip (door panel style clip) this is my second set and the first set I just tried pushing the clip into this flimsy thingy and it instantly split. So I didn’t use the clip but want to try to use the clips this time around. Thinking of gluing the clip in place.
Also if anyone is planning on using these in the future make sure you reglue the edges as their glue does not hold.
Thanks
IMG_3493.jpegIMG_3492.jpegIMG_3494.jpeg

The resin is a way to go, but seems like more work than it's worth for a simple sail panel replacement & mounting fix.

I just went through this, wish I had taken pictures. In my case, I broke the pocket away from the pressboard/paper tabs while test fitting the sail panels to ensure placement. I was pretty irritated, but came up with a 5-minute fix that should hold up.
  • Grab some heavy-duty 3M double sided tape (I used the heavy, 30-lb. version).
  • Pull the broken pressboard or paper tab off the panel (you can leave the flat "base" of the tab if it is still secured to the panel). Put a piece of the 3M tape down, pressing firmly into the depression where the old pressboard tab broke off. Remove the plastic 3M tape cover from the top side.
  • Now take another similar-sized piece of 3M, and slide it into the metal clip, right where the broken paper tab would be. The sticky side of the take should face the back side of the sail panel, with the prongs of the clip facing outwards (towards the car's mounting point). I left the plastic "cover" on the top layer of 3M tape, sine it doesn't need to stick to anything
  • Put your clip where it should normally be placed. If you kept the tab "base", it's obvious.
  • Let the tape sit up for a while to make sure the adhesive holds.
Sorry if this is over-explained. You will end up with a DIY pocket: with the sail panel lying face down, you should now have a layer of 3M tape, the clips correctly oriented prongs up, and a layer of 3M tape, and the base of the clip is sandwiched between the layers of tape. It'll hold together better than the brittle pressboard tabs.

Last edited:
Back