71 Mach1(Trans Am) 2" nose drop

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Continue to be in awe at your efforts. You inspire me.
Thanks. It's just one foot in front of the other for as long as it takes. Working on it like a crazy person helps too...lol. That's why I'm taking a small break to enjoy my Javelin for a bit.

That's definitely some nice work, for sure. I skimmed thru a couple of posts and pics and in all honesty, I was curious about how to reinforce some of the suspension areas in the shock towers, motor bay and under the car. My concerns were that my welding skills might be a tad insufficient and it would look more like a "what if Mr. Magoo tried this" type appearance. The only goal behind my thoughts was to stiffen the car up some because I still like to play with corners. Even with my '66 and while I didn't realize that it was making a difference, I made a couple changes outlined by Hot Rod and Car Craft magazines back in the day. I also never did the whole 70's front and 60's rear for tires like my friends, mine was 60's on all four corners. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I really liked the look of the car squatted some with the wider rubber all around.

As I digress, even when I stepped out of the Mustang/Cougar part of my life in '84, and purchased an EXP. For what it's worth, while that was a huge mistake in the engine dept., I stepped up the handling with the TRX wheels and tires as well as improving the struts and that little four banger with a 5spd. was pretty quick in the corners for the mall parking lot sets. Had I gone with the turbo version, it really would have something. Unfortunately, I still believed I would end up with the same block porous casting and cracked heads that this 1.6ltr. 4 was plagued with. 3 blocks and 4 heads for me.

That's definitely some nice work, for sure. I skimmed thru a couple of posts and pics and in all honesty, I was curious about how to reinforce some of the suspension areas in the shock towers, motor bay and under the car. My concerns were that my welding skills might be a tad insufficient and it would look more like a "what if Mr. Magoo tried this" type appearance. The only goal behind my thoughts was to stiffen the car up some because I still like to play with corners. Even with my '66 and while I didn't realize that it was making a difference, I made a couple changes outlined by Hot Rod and Car Craft magazines back in the day. I also never did the whole 70's front and 60's rear for tires like my friends, mine was 60's on all four corners. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I really liked the look of the car squatted some with the wider rubber all around.

As I digress, even when I stepped out of the Mustang/Cougar part of my life in '84, and purchased an EXP. For what it's worth, while that was a huge mistake in the engine dept., I stepped up the handling with the TRX wheels and tires as well as improving the struts and that little four banger with a 5spd. was pretty quick in the corners for the mall parking lot sets. Had I gone with the turbo version, it really would have something. Unfortunately, I still believed I would end up with the same block porous casting and cracked heads that this 1.6ltr. 4 was plagued with. 3 blocks and 4 heads for me.
Hi and thanks. Yes there is tons of welding done to the car,from stitch welding every seem front to back,to adding bracing to suspension pick up points and the chassis. If there is anything specific that you'd like to know about,I'd be happy to fill in any details you'd like.

Back