To all you Australian and UK guys please help!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oh dam

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Coupe
1994 GT Coupe
Ok i have a question pertaining to my car being imported. I am thinking of possibly studying engineering abroad for some months and i want to know what is the laws for a modified car? I am currently 19 years old, if it matters. I am setting up my car for autocrossing so it consist mostly of suspension and chassis upgrades. I have a mildly built 302 pushing 350 hp or so. 8-point cage etc etc. So i want to know if i do end up studying abroad and i decide to import my car will i be ok? will it be worth to import? will i need to change things?? any little bit helps..thanks guys! ..oh Im from the US.

Here in Au the laws vary drastically from state to state....

In some states you cannot even bring a car in if it has even a non geniune air filter!

Do your homework to save yourself some grief....

Even tougher with cars younger than 25 years...

This is to stop the flood of imports from hong kong, etc, which get sold very cheaply...

Ok i have a question pertaining to my car being imported. I am thinking of possibly studying engineering abroad for some months and i want to know what is the laws for a modified car? I am currently 19 years old, if it matters. I am setting up my car for autocrossing so it consist mostly of suspension and chassis upgrades. I have a mildly built 302 pushing 350 hp or so. 8-point cage etc etc. So i want to know if i do end up studying abroad and i decide to import my car will i be ok? will it be worth to import? will i need to change things?? any little bit helps..thanks guys! ..oh Im from the US.
Here in the UK if your car is over three years old it has to pass an annual MOT test, these are getting tougher each year

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/the-mot-test

and if less than 10 years old an SVA test if a permanent import to the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/inspection-fees

As regards importing you can get good advice here

http://www.goldenchariotsinternational.com/

For Australia you have two hurdles, plus the actual cost of importing which in itself is a hurdle:)

The first one is getting an import permit from the federal government. Info on that here: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/quiz/used-manufactured.aspx

You could import it as a personal import in which case you can probably bring it in with most mods and no issues. This is not really a problem. Getting to use the car once you import it depending on state is another issue altogether.

NSW for example you will need a full engineers certificate to get it registered. He will test brakes, check exhaust noice, etc, etc and it will probably cost you 2-3K to get this done. Victoria I think has something similar but would bet are even more strict.

The NT have a very relaxed approach and you could probably register a lawn mower with 80" wheels and a mega blower on it:):)

I would say if you are only here for a short time (1-2 years) its not worth it to bring anything with you.

Greg

Something one needs to consider when deciding to ship a vehicle overseas, besides the laws regulating the operation of any vehicle, is whether the cost is worth the effort. Along with the costs of making your vehicle compliant with whatever laws apply and the expense of shipping, some other factors to include are; How long will you be there ? How often will you really need that vehicle ? Will prevailing weather patterns affect your ability to use your vehicle ?

I will be going over to Ireland in March to study language and will probably be there for about 6 months maybe a little longer. When I first made my plans I wanted to ship my motorcycle over. The good news was that Ireland doesn't have too many restrictions as long as the vehicle is there temporarily. I can't remember the actual time limit but I think it was something like 3 months with the option of extending another 3 months should you stay a little longer. Mostly they just wanted to make sure the vehicle and yourself were properly insured before they allowed it into the country. I never did get around to checking whether my insurance company would even cover my bike while overseas or would I have to purchase a separate , more expensive policy to have it covered. It's my guess that it would have required me to dig into my wallet a little more one way or the other. The first tangible wall I ran into was the shear cost of shipping it. Approximately $4500 US round trip, based on size and weight I might add, and that's not even guaranteed because shipping costs vary daily.

Then I started calculating the logistics, how often would I really need to use it, not often because the school and all amenities are in such close proximity that I can walk to just about every place I needed to go. Plus, public transportation in a lot of places outside the US is pretty efficient. It beats hell out of battling traffic and finding suitable parking. I'd be in class all day 5 days a week so I'd hardly have a chance for pleasure riding except for the weekends. And then there is the predominant weather there, which is wet a pretty good amount of the time. Ultimately I came to realize that the amount of use I would get from my vehicle just didn't justify the expense of getting it there. It would actually be cheaper for me to buy a bike there and then sell it when it is time for me to return. Or even renting one when I have the chance to go for a ride.

Having said all that, I know that sometimes we just want OUR vehicle and nothing else will do. If you plan on being there for a long time and expense isn't a major factor, then it's money well spent I'd say !

Uff. This sucks I really wanted to bring my mustang with me :( unfortunetely money is a huge issue I was aware that shipping cost is high but if I wad able to just drive it with no problem I might consider it..but now I really don't want to import it..I'm going to miss it if I go :(. I guess ill have to buy a bike as well and sell after :p

Yep not cheap, cost me over $8k to bring my 72 Mach 1 in. That doesn't include getting him registered either, that's about another $1200. In western Australia..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back