Too much smoke?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcgill89

Reaction score
My Car
None
The last 2 times I've started up my '73 (to warm it up for an oil change, and after to circulate the new oil) I've had quite a bit of smoke upon startup. When I go back and look at the tail pipes, I can see the water in the tips that's getting blown out, so there is a water issue. The first time, it cleared up after the choke was off and it was idling at low rpms. After the oil change it was again smoking but it didn't go away at lower rpms.

There aren't any weird sounds coming from the motor, and the only mods I've done since I got it are to put a pertronix ignitor in there and adjust the idle screws on the carb to 1.5 turns out. I also have a bottle of seafoam in the gas tank to help clean out the carb, etc.

Can anyone enlighten me a bit about why I have the water in the pipes, and whether I should be concerned with the smoke?

Well the water i wouldnt worry about unless its coming out fast as you poor it in the radiator......All rigs specialy during winter get alot of condisation in the tail pipes...Reason they rust so bad..rust from the inside and out.....Plus im sure your runing anti freeze...Now if its green water and alot of steam...You have a real issue....What color of smoke is belting out in the mornings? blue or black?

Smoke at start-up is generally valve seals, most likely the intakes. Changing valve seals can be done without removing the heads. I would not be alarmed over it if the smoke is minor.

The water sounds like condensation which is no issue.

I'm not sure how minor it is. It puts out some good smokescreen action.

The water coming out is clear as can be, and the smoke is white, it's got no blue or black color.

Wouldn't an antifreeze leak into a cylinder have a distinct smell? This smell is just like standard exhaust.

Is it smoke or steam? A water leak into a cylinder looks a lot like you describe. Just went through this on an engine with a cracked block so it is fresh in my mind.

mike

The way the weather is around here in Northern Virginia it sounds like it is just steam. Black would be too much gas and blue smoke would be oil burning. Let it get up to a full operating temperature and the steam should begin to subside, but not all the way in this weather.

Ya and your really in a humid state....Sounds like steam...And yes should see green water coming out and the whole car would reak like burning antifreeze...Not regular water...long as its not blue smoke or black...And she not runing like hell or over heating...Should be ok!!

I seen a block so cracked it would leak water out the tail pipe like some one turned on a hose...Fast as you could fill the radiator....It using any water? If not... its all weather.

Wouldn't an antifreeze leak into a cylinder have a distinct smell? This smell is just like standard exhaust.
Don't know about the smell. When I started my car in the morning it would make a lot of white smoke and would abruptly stop. This happened randomly a couple of times until one day the engine would not turn over. I am not sure how you would check this except by pulling the spark plugs and looking for a wet one. The water dripping from the tail pipe is normal condensation but the white smoke is not normal.

mike

If it is a coolant leak and has antifreeze in the system the exhaust would have a sweet smell. The best way to test for a coolant leak is with a cooling system pressure tester. If it holds pressure (generally cap pressure) you do not have a leak.

From what you describe it sounds like condensation. Like Ole Pony said let the car warm up good.

Once it's good and warm, like when I just took it on a 3 mile trip to the gas station, no smoke at all. After it's sat for 10 minutes, smoke upon startup. I think it's just the weather for right now.

If it is a coolant leak and has antifreeze in the system the exhaust would have a sweet smell. The best way to test for a coolant leak is with a cooling system pressure tester. If it holds pressure (generally cap pressure) you do not have a leak.

From what you describe it sounds like condensation. Like Ole Pony said let the car warm up good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how minor it is. It puts out some good smokescreen action.

The water coming out is clear as can be, and the smoke is white, it's got no blue or black color.
When you said "good smoke screen action", that caught my eye.

If it is just some white exhaust during cold start up in cold weather

that is normal. If you can't see the car behind you through the rear

view mirror, that could be a problem.

mike

Your best troubleshooter is your coolant level. If it's not changing, it's condensation. I had a big block that required adding coolant after three days and pulled the pan to discover a drop of antifreeze on the edge of #5 cylinder. Had done a pressure test that passed after 24hours but like I said still used coolant when driving. Turnred out to be a ZIPPER crack that only leaks when the engine got up to temp and never saw any smoke. So that'swhy I say check by the level.

The coolant looks very good to me. It's right on the "cold fill" line like it shows in my Haynes manual. I will monitor it.

The "smokescreen action" I mentioned is only at idle. It was not smoking behind me anytime while I was on the road Today.

Your best troubleshooter is your coolant level. If it's not changing, it's condensation. I had a big block that required adding coolant after three days and pulled the pan to discover a drop of antifreeze on the edge of #5 cylinder. Had done a pressure test that passed after 24hours but like I said still used coolant when driving. Turnred out to be a ZIPPER crack that only leaks when the engine got up to temp and never saw any smoke. So that'swhy I say check by the level.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not trying to insult but perhaps you could take something like a wire clothes hanger and try and determine the level of fuel in your tank since you apparently are not sure of the accuracy of the guage...just a thought.

BT

No offense taken. I put about a 2 foot vacuum hose in and was able to blow bubbles. I guess that means I have a pretty full tank.

It was like 50 degrees here today, so I started it up quickly. It idled great, and even with the choke on, it hardly smoked at all. I'm fairly certain it was just the cold, wet weather we had there for a few days.

I'm going to take it out tomorrow, and see if I can't burn off some of that full tank. :D

No offense taken. I put about a 2 foot vacuum hose in and was able to blow bubbles. I guess that means I have a pretty full tank.

Back