Toploader linkage insallation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
2000 F250-SD
2001 H-D FLTR
2004 GMC Denali
I am ready to install an connect an original hurst linkage to my toploader. 

Could someone direct me to a link, or provide me step by step information on installing the linkage. 

I want to be sure I have the shifter tabs in the correct locations and that they are oriented in the proper direction, verify which arm to which tab, and how to adjust the shifter stops. 

This is my first time doing this. Thanks in advance.

Your shop manual, whether the Haynes or the factory service book set, will have the information you need.
Thanks, the manual along with photos on the internet were of great help.  I ran into two things that you could possibly offer some guidance. 

1. The shifter assembly doesn’t appear to have the forward and backward adjustment screws as I’ve seen pictured on some shifter assemblies. 

2. The 3rd and 4th gear shift rod, where it passes through the shifter arm mounted on the transmission, does not have a hole for a retaining clip to pass through. The reverse and 1st and 2nd hear shift arms, Both have holes for retaking clips.

Ty

You loosen the nuts on the shift levers holding the rods they are slotted. You stick a 3/16" allen wrench in the hole to align the shifter in neutral with the transmission in neutral and then you tighten the nuts on the shift rods. Only the competition plus shifter had the stop bolts I think.

Here is pic I think not too good but you can see the levers. The hole to align the shifter is in the side about mid point if I remember right.

Your shop manual, whether the Haynes or the factory service book set, will have the information you need.
Thanks, the manual along with photos on the internet were of great help.  I ran into two things that you could possibly offer some guidance. 

1. The shifter assembly doesn’t appear to have the forward and backward adjustment screws as I’ve seen pictured on some shifter assemblies. 

2. The 3rd and 4th gear shift rod, where it passes through the shifter arm mounted on the transmission, does not have a hole for a retaining clip to pass through. The reverse and 1st and 2nd hear shift arms, Both have holes for retaking clips.

Ty

1 - the factory Hurst Comp Plus shifters did not have the limiter bolts like the aftermarket Hurst Comp Plus units. 

2 - the factory Hurst shifter had hard urethane grommets that that shift arms snapped into, with no retainer clip. The hole and retainer clip is for the aftermarket Hurst units. Sounds like you may have a mish-mash of aftermarket and original Ford parts.  Please post some clear pics of what you have for parts.

The images below should help explain things a bit. 

Hurst_373-7637.pdf

Attachments

• Hurst_373-7637.pdf
    54.3 KB
I have a NOS Competition Plus shifter they are different from the ones on our car. The shift rods on the CP shifter are smaller dia but does not have the rubber bushings to kill the vibrations. They use to cost $35.00. The same info is on the site in previous posts. Doing a good search can turn up lots of info.

Ty

1 - the factory Hurst Comp Plus shifters did not have the limiter bolts like the aftermarket Hurst Comp Plus units. 

2 - the factory Hurst shifter had hard urethane grommets that that shift arms snapped into, with no retainer clip. The hole and retainer clip is for the aftermarket Hurst units. Sounds like you may have a mish-mash of aftermarket and original Ford parts.  Please post some clear pics of what you have for parts.

The images below should help explain things a bit. 

I believe the 3rd and 4h gear arm is original. Unaware, I removed what i recall was a rubber and nylon type covering that passes through the shift lever. Beneath this covering is a groove. I purchased a 5/16 C clip to install on the shift rod to hold it in place. Is this a bad idea?

For the Hurst linkage use this (or the steel equivalent) https://www.summitracing.com/parts/huu-3320001?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjwmKLzBRBeEiwACCVihl3AxIYvcRD_t59XvFiP3bG-YyUr5uzpcUDTNhWHCJLcGrwfWQtpoxoC1FAQAvD_BwE

I'd try to find a hurst 3-4 shift rod to make them all the same and easier to service. Chuck

I believe the 3rd and 4h gear arm is original. Unaware, I removed what i recall was a rubber and nylon type covering that passes through the shift lever. Beneath this covering is a groove. I purchased a 5/16 C clip to install on the shift rod to hold it in place. Is this a bad idea?
That shift rod has to be extremely sloppy in that hole, so it's not a great idea. There are reproduction bushings available.

For the Hurst linkage use this (or the steel equivalent) https://www.summitracing.com/parts/huu-3320001?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjwmKLzBRBeEiwACCVihl3AxIYvcRD_t59XvFiP3bG-YyUr5uzpcUDTNhWHCJLcGrwfWQtpoxoC1FAQAvD_BwE

I'd try to find a hurst 3-4 shift rod to make them all the same and easier to service. Chuck
I have the pit pack. However it is not comparable with my 3-4 shift arm.

I have the pit pack. However it is not comparable with my 3-4 shift arm.
Pit Pack only works with the aftermarket Hurst shifter. The factory bushings are completely different. 

Supposedly, these are correct for the factory Hurst units, but I have not personally verified that claim yet.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CO96R2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks Hemikiller, you reminded me that the OEM "Hurst" shifter can't be updated with the Comp Plus parts. I suppose it has just been too long ago (1972) that I replaced the OEM "Hurst" shifter in my 1970 Boss 302 with a comp plus. Chuck

That shift rod has to be extremely sloppy in that hole, so it's not a great idea. There are reproduction bushings available.

I removed all the shift arms and cleaned them up on a wire wheel. All three have Ford part numbers. One shift arm was drilled to accept a G clip to keep it in the shift lever.

I've reached out to David Kee for some help. He did the rebuild on the top loader.

Hemi. All of my linkage is original ford. I purchased a set of 6 nylon or plastic bushings from David Kee. These went on without issue and I now have the linkage assembled and working.

thanks

Hemi. All of my linkage is original ford. I purchased a set of 6 nylon or plastic bushings from David Kee. These went on without issue and I now have the linkage assembled and working.

thanks

Awesome, glad you got it sorted!   ::thumb::

Back