Toploader

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chuck, Mexico had some strong content laws concerning the use of Mexican built and supplied parts on the assembly line there. I have a feeling that's why we are seeing such a strange mix of parts on the Mexican cars. Plus throw in some backyard engineering like we have all seen on cars here and you have a mess on your hands trying to figure these cars out 40+ years later!

"7505" is the basic number for the bell housing for Bronco's. The basic number for engineering and parts use was pretty much set in stone by Ford regardless of country. The prefix and suffix of parts manufactured in the vehicle's assembly country was assigned by engineering staff in that country. So that would explain some of the numbers that look so strange to us.

Agree.....what is that clutch out of? First diaphragm clutch I had was in a  85 GT. The clutch fork looks like something from a F700 truck!!

I sure would like to get my hands on a Mexican Ford parts catalog. Nothing I have could be used to decode the Mexican numbers!

Last edited by a moderator:
The other Sprint I was suppose to buy in Germany has finally been bought by a guy from Belgium. We know each other now, and share on FB.

He told me that he has the same fork and bellhousing as mine, so was for sure the typical Mexican equipment on those Mach 1.

But for some reason he had to change the clutch, and as he couldn't find anymore the right parts, he changed the bellhousing, flywheel (157 tooth) by US model.

He sold his car to a French guy, I have contact with the new owner.

At this point, we are two owners in France of this '73 Sprint Mach 1.

I wish I could find the complete '73 Sprint Mach 1 diagram with all part numbers.

I read here from you guys that the bellhousing and fork comes from a Bronco, it seems to give me some new tracks to explore.

Another part from the car which is not common to the US version, the rear end, it's a Dana 44.

you are right Steve

What A Fork!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had also looked for email for Dan but did not find. He is about 50 miles from where I live. I have talked with him on phone and he is very knowledgeable for sure. You might just call him.

D
I'll call him but afraid about my english accent, and not sure I will understand him, but I'll try :)

In june in a restaurant, I met a couple, they were on holidays in France making a tour, seated next to my wife and myself, I engaged the conversation, talking about food and wine, and of course about cars I have in my garage, was so funny. When they left, they gave me their email adress, they are leaving in North Carolina, now we share pics and just speak about our life, family and different things.
If it makes life easier I will go to visit Dan and it might be better for him to send you complete transmission ready to install. Let me know if you want me to do that. I enjoy the driving in the mountains for sure. Send me the info on friends you made might know them. I spent a lot of time on the road over the years. 17 months in China and 4 trips to Germany, 14 to Africa. I always tried to connect with the car guys there. Not so easy in China, lol.

D
David, they live in Durham NC, now vacationing în Durango. I m in Holland for holidays.

I finally received the interlock pin, and the 1/2 shift lever is repaired ( the machine shop did it).

So I rebuilt the trans with the interlock pin. First it's a good practice for the final rebuilt, and then I can check if it was the main problem. Looks like all gears shift well.

I have contact with DK, I sent him a list of parts I need. Rebuilt kit will be one of the part for sure.

I also came back from holidays with another Toploader, I was thinking to use as donor, but at least I will refresh it since under the Topcover all everything is in very good shape, then will be good for sale. It's a 65/67 model, close ratio, with the narrow tailhousing.

From the 65/67 I came back with from vacation:

Here is the rail from 1/2 speed. The dentent point (called hatchet?) is between the 1/2 and 3/4 rail. Missing the side bolt, short detent spring, and the detent, hatchet or round or what else it should be?

Here is the Toploader in one piece. Looks work ok, all gears engage, the shifter is ajusted like it should.

Next step is to reconnect the tranny and try it.

Here is the Toploader in one piece. Looks work ok, all gears engage, the shifter is ajusted like it should.

Next step is to reconnect the tranny and try it.

Super clean! Gonna shift smooth.

What kind of metal is the casing? I like its color.

oh and important for your next post, try set camera higher so we can see the lady on the wall!  :)

Interesting how your transmission is the 27" w/long tail, versus the standard 24" Mustang/Cougar transmission.
Shifter is also different, flat stick not round like USA 73.
That's an aftermarket Hurst unit. Stick isn't removable.

Yes the shifter is an aftermarket one.

I need to do something cause it not fits very well, need to do something I hate, to grind a piece of the talhousing to eliminate the space between the shifter and the mounting plate.

For you Fabrice :)

Car is on the road again, a few modifications were needed on the shift tabs.

Then I could drive her to the monthly meeting.

Another 1/2 pict of the 2006 calendar and 1/2 a knee on another. pfff

C'est pas possible ca quand meme!

Other Mustang 7173 at your monthly meeting? I bet you steal the show with la mexicaine

I'm always "alone" with 71/73 models, and you know what? I enjoy, lot of 65/68, 2 from 69.

We are not common, like our cars ;)

It's a Hurst shifter competition plus, new. Problem was that the shift tabs was to long, so they didn't let enough travel from the rods to engage well the gears (hope you can understand me).

The reverse shift tab replace the 1/2 one, I drilled a new hole on the 3/4 tabs, and I use a 65/67 shift tab for the reverse, that's works fine.

Latest posts

Back