Toploader

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Ford Mustang Mach 1 351 CJ all matching numbers, under restoration.
73 Ford Mustang Sprint from Mexico.
Hello.

I removed the gearbox, cause first gear dissapeared, or was very difficult to get it. 

I checked the linkage setup, was ok. 

I found more than 2 liters, don't know how it's possible to fill up with so much oil as when it's full oil is dropping from the filling plug. Well, it's leaking from everywhere, top cover (no gasket but pasta. Leaks from the 3 o'rings (1/2 3/4 et reverse gears).

Disconnect front and back  and as well no gasket.

The V gate (think it's the right name) for the 1st and 2nd gear is used, I mean the V gate is not engage properly the gears. Is it possible to find this piece somewhere?

IMG_20180722_204459_1.jpg

Hard to tell from the picture but, you be talking about the shift lever and cam. http://4speedtoploaders.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/shiftcamandshafts.html David Kee has every part for a top loader and good to deal with. Chuck

Did the nut on the arm loosen up? You should be able to pull it out enough for the shaft to engage with the hole in the shift lever.

If it's leaking everywhere, ad you're having a hard time engaging first gear, it's probably time for a rebuild.

Oh yes it's time for a rebuilt. About the shift lever, the hole is worn, so could not engage properly specially the 1st gear.

Now I have a new friend who help me to do this rebuild. Mister Paul Cangialosi and his book :).

Following his instructions, all is fine to disassemble all the tranny.

And let's see what I found, or not:

First of all, with a magnet, just with the top cover open, I found some piece of metal, bad sign.

One piece of snap ring, and found out from where it comes.

Then during the tear down, I saw that one pin is missing. From the 3rd 4th rail it should be an interlock pin, and this pin was not there. Is it possible that that pin was removed by itself then was exploded in the tranny?

I need a rebuild kit, any suggestions would be appreciated,

Thank you.

Looks like lots of abuse there for sure.

This guy is local to me and has been doing Ford 4 speeds for longer than anyone out there. He has all the parts and knowledge and will help.

http://www.toploadertransmissions.com/toploaderinfo.html

He will need the information off the tag on the right side of the case. Should be a sheet metal tag with one push rivet in it. Also has a partial VIN# usually. Here is a picture of one in a 1964 1/2 Mustang. Is this on the Mexican car? Might be some differences there also.

Sounds like someone filled the case really full to hide noise and issues then put in car if filled above the plug. You might need a lot of parts.

Cheers,

That's the Toploader from the mexican Mach 1, there is no tag, but it looks the same as a "normal" Toploader.

Anyway I contact your guy and will see what he says.

So, after investigation, I know now that Mexican Toploaders (in this case '73 Sprint Mach1), could be equipped with rails from 69/70's models ( found interesting informations on FORDMUSCLEFORUMS, thanks to Dennis111). We still have a lot of things to discover about our Mustangs.

If I refer to David Kee site http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/shiftrailid.htm I need interlock pin from 4 or 5 kit, looks like the 5.

Is it possible that they forget this pin during the last rebuilt? What can happen and how react the tranny without this interlock pin?

The interlock pin was to keep the transmission in one gear and one gear only. If it's missing, you "could" potentially put it into two gears at the same time.

The interlock pin was to keep the transmission in one gear and one gear only. If it's missing, you "could" potentially put it into two gears at the same time.
ok. And it could be as well why sometimes the shifter was totally stuck.

I sent mails to David Kee since 29 of march but still no answer (last one was last week).

I'm looking for an email adress from Dan Williams but nothing on the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent mails to David Kee since 29 of march but still no answer (last one was last week).

I had also looked for email for Dan but did not find. He is about 50 miles from where I live. I have talked with him on phone and he is very knowledgeable for sure. You might just call him.

D

I had also looked for email for Dan but did not find. He is about 50 miles from where I live. I have talked with him on phone and he is very knowledgeable for sure. You might just call him.

D
I'll call him but afraid about my english accent, and not sure I will understand him, but I'll try :)

In june in a restaurant, I met a couple, they were on holidays in France making a tour, seated next to my wife and myself, I engaged the conversation, talking about food and wine, and of course about cars I have in my garage, was so funny. When they left, they gave me their email adress, they are leaving in North Carolina, now we share pics and just speak about our life, family and different things.

D
I'll call him but afraid about my english accent, and not sure I will understand him, but I'll try :)

In june in a restaurant, I met a couple, they were on holidays in France making a tour, seated next to my wife and myself, I engaged the conversation, talking about food and wine, and of course about cars I have in my garage, was so funny. When they left, they gave me their email adress, they are leaving in North Carolina, now we share pics and just speak about our life, family and different things.
If it makes life easier I will go to visit Dan and it might be better for him to send you complete transmission ready to install. Let me know if you want me to do that. I enjoy the driving in the mountains for sure. Send me the info on friends you made might know them. I spent a lot of time on the road over the years. 17 months in China and 4 trips to Germany, 14 to Africa. I always tried to connect with the car guys there. Not so easy in China, lol.

D

If you have no luck with Dan or David, you can try Reed's Performance Transmissions. They are local to me and I was friendly with the owner up until he passed a couple years ago. I rebuilt toploaders for him in the late 90's. His assistant took over the business after his death. They do a lot of work with Cobra Automotive.

https://www.reedstransmissions.com/

Thank you David, I appreciate a lot!!! Do you mean a complete transmission? I would like to get a remanufactured one but this will cost me two arms (with the shipping).

I try to find this interlock pin, waiting for answers from "reedtransmissions" and "Kajun", mails sent.

Thank you Hemmikiller and Thomas as well.

Take a look at this fork and bellhousing...

Last edited by a moderator:
What the heck is any of it from? The base part number for a Ford bell housing is 6394 not 7505 and a prefix of ZSAA??? Perhaps parts were made outside the USnand used different numbering system. That might also explain the never heard of transmission tag. It all would concern me a lot. Chuck

Back