transmission problems

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande (Viktoria)
302 with a C4
I went to drive to school last night and upon getting onto the freeway from a complete stop at a red light, my mustang decided it wasn't going to shift out of first gear. it is a C4 behind a 302 and was rebuilt less than 3000 miles ago by a shop in 2003 in Florida. I can physically shift the gear selector to Drive, but it does not shift out of first no matter what I do. Any suggestions??? I would like a 5 speed automatic, maybe now is the time. Does anything out there bolt up to a 71 302 block??? As always, Thanks everyone for your valued input and 2 cents!

- Nik

+1 agree with turtle-vaccum line to modulator or modulator itself is where I would start if it were mine. I had that exact thing happen on My 76 f150 hose came off. It wouldn't shift out of 1st.

I know my FMX doesn't want to shift when the fluid is low. Is the trans making any noise?

If you have any questions about the 5-speed swap, I've all ready done it on my '68 with a stroked Windsor and am planning on it for my '73 Mach-1.

finally had time to get under the stang today. the trani fluid is full and i changed out the modulator and vacuum line to it from the manifold. she still doesn't want to shift out of first. I really don't want to go through another trans rebuild... :( any other ideas???

I have heard the AOD's aren't really that strong. Not like the GM 700R4. I guess it depends how much power you're making. If you can fix your C4 for little money, you may want to look into a GearVendors setup.

Back