Trying to remove steering column sleeve

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzstang71

Reaction score
My Car
71 sports hardtop coupe
Hi all,

I recently got back to driving my 71 coupe and of course noticed more things I needed to work on. One of those things is replacing the lights in the instrument panel. I went to remove it but I got hung up taking out the dash panel, literally. The panel got stuck on the plastic sleeve that is around my steering column. I lowered the steering column at the three bolts on it's bracket at the dash, but I didn't unbolt it at the base yet. I wanted to know about removing the sleeve as that would give me the clearance i need. There is a clip that holds the two sides together, but i couldn't figure out how to release it, and I didn't want to force anything for fear of breaking it.

Does anyone have experience with this? Would it be easier to move the carpet and just unbolt the steering column at the base? 

Thanks.

The plastic piece is pushed into the clip. I would gently try to pull it out if you need use some heat. A heat gun softens the plastic or a hair dryer

The "Clip" is a slider !!!! Start sliding backwards with a small screwdriver then HOOK with a pick and continue sliding. Once you disengage from the tabs it will separate.

Mark

P.S. WHY are you dropping column or removing???? You may want to talk to Bill at hipoparts.com on clusters and SMD's (no one uses LED's anymore)

I'm moving it out of the way to get the dash piece out that's in front of the cluster. I was trying to get it out with removing the least amount of things and I may be missing something.

You need to take the bottom plastic cover off first. There are four screws holding it to the dash and column. Then you can get to the metal slider and slide it out to release the column cover.

Remove this part first

Just an FYI. I did not have to drop my column to get my dash apart. To remove the sleeve I just pulled back on the sleeve toward the steering wheel slow and steady pressure it is slid back and popped out of the clip.

Thanks for the responses! 

I think I'll give the slider another shot, i just didn't want to crack that piece because I didn't know what I was doing.

Latest posts

Back