Under dash - Cowl tube removal pulling my hair out

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 coupe
1998 mustang
1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R
So I need a little bit of help on this one.

I have the seats, carpet and all gutted out. Stripped and painted the whole floor pans and I found I have a leaky cowl on the passenger side right around the black tube that brings in the air from the outside. There's some rust in the area I want to repair to stop the leak before I put my new interior in. I pulled the glovebox out and the upper dash. The problem arises when trying to access that last nut on the black tube to drop it down. They aren't really nuts more like some kind of staggered nut that's stuck in a grove on the stud. I can spin it by hand but no matter what I try I cant get the nut to back off.

What's the trick guys, because there is hardly any room to get in there. I spent 4 hours on this one nut and it really depressed me as I cant afford nor have the skills/equipment at the moment to rip the cowl apart. The drivers side is solid but the passenger side has some rot in it. I want to remove the tube thing to have as much access to it as possible.

I'm stuck here and can not move forward knowing this issue isn't going to fix itself and I'd love to get it off without pulling the entire dash. Take a look at these pics and see if you can make sense of what i'm trying to get at please!!

bolt1.jpg

bolt2.jpg

bolt3.jpg

To access mine, I pulled the dash. The rust on mine was more than just a minor leak, it had prior poor repair attempts, so I also pulled the windshield and sectioned the top of the cowl.

Buck up and pull the dash--the four hours you spent on that one nut could have been pulling the dash, reinstalling the dash, and having time for a cold one. Sorry if this is bad news, but if you are stuck, just pull the dash.

Make a 90 degree pull rod from a piece of metal..Get a soldering iron on the stud..Let it heat up..Insert the pull rod in between the plastic & metal pull as your turning the nut..make sure all the other nuts are off before doing the last trouble one...It's always that last one

Back