Turn signal issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkelley72

Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang convertible
I must not be living right! While working on another unrelated issue (fuel sending unit) I happened to notice that the left turn signal indicator on the dash is not working. The outside indicators are working fine. I assume that the dash bulb must be out, right? So what do I have to do to access the bulb to replace it. Can I simply remove the 5 screws on the face of the instrument panel and pull it out far enough to access it? I have factory AC, so will the AC vent and ductwork hinder removal? Also, what is the bulb number that I will need. Thanks for your help.

Bulb would be 194. Best to remove the entire dash cluster, as access to the bulb is on the back. To see if the bulb is bad, swap bulbs with another good bulb.

If you are taking your Speedometer bezel out, you might want to consider installing LED bulbs (brightens your dash at night) or whatever the new technology is. I swapped out to led and my old eyes can now see and read the guages at night

search the forum, as there is lots of info here that discusses it
good luck whatever way you choose to fix them

Can the instrument panel be removed without removing the dash pad? Can I just remove the 5 screws and tilt it down to access the bulb or will I have to disconnect the speed-o and harnesses etc. I would like to avoid having to remove/disconnect as little as possible. Don't want to risk creating a new issue with 50 year old components. My luck lately has not been on my side.

I had my dash pad already removed when I pulled my instrument cluster. I think you might have to loosen the dash pad and lift it up a bit to get clearance to remove the cluster (upper left and right corners of cluster were buried behind the dash pad, on my car...as the steering column creates restrictions for removal
I also sent my “idiot light” guage to rocketman to have a tachometer conversion, so the part that was the most difficult/tedious for me was disconnecting the speedometer cable.
If I recall correctly, Maneuvering the cluster around the steering wheel to remove was tricky as well

Dash pad doesn’t need to come loose, but the cover by the door at the end of the dash hides a screw.

As others have said remove the under dash ring at the column.

Loosen the column bolts to lower the column some for access.

Back