Unexpected acceleration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry. Im Late for this.

I'm really happy that you and your family weren't hurt more than that. Especially given what the car looks like! I wish you a fast recovery.

It's sad for the car too of course.

I'd really like to learn from this because this is scary. I could imagine the throttle getting stuck after acceleration but accelerating on its own?!?! That's scary!

carburetor coming lose from intake manifold or a part in the carburetor self? 

no brakes or hard brakes ... vacuum leak to booster

acceleration ...very rich gas mixture with air... gas throttle cable or maybe kick-down rod attracted

Its not the motor mounts it was fine till I had the cam and the rest of the upper part of engine done . I really feel like its carb involved.. So the reason the brakes didn't work is because it was accelerating?  I really need to look at the engine but I dont have the time
Dayum.....

Hope your wife makes a full recovery. 

Brakes are vacuum boosted. Hard acceleration / WOT drops vacuum down significantly. You're also fighting the engine. If it ever happens again on another car, pop it into neutral and let the engine rev.

So sorry to hear this. Like the others I suspect the throttle cable stuck open for some reason, likely interference in the linkage. Brakes in proper operating condition should still stop the car under that circumstance, but pedal effort would be significant.

Hope you and your wife make a full recovery.

Tough pictures to look at.  Hope your wife is feeling better soon.  I am with Hemikiller, pop it out of gear and get it stopped.  If the engines revs and redlines so be it.  Hopefully you had good insurance on it.

It happened so fast and we where only 50 yard or so from the stop light. Normal driving in my jeep I can get from where it started to the light in about 9 or so seconds . we have giid insurance but like all insurance they are goung to low ball you. Adjuster called today and said 9500. For total loss . I did not except so now it goes back to them. I can play the waiting game lol I go on active duty Thursday and then the sandbox early next year so I got time to sit on it

Back