urethane bumper question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikepasquale1

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Mach 1
How hard are these bumpers to fix?

What kind of filler, if any, whould be used on them?

I have 2 of these bumpers and im looking to use a fiberglass one that i have on order as a last resort.

I have low and high spots, specifically around where the small cracks are in the rubber.

I know OEM would be the way to go, im just confused on what to do next.

Here is a pic of a bumper that i may try. It has been repainted obviously and the seller told me its in great shape. Does anyone see anything i dont or could there be something hidden benieth the paint?

What are the good the bad and the ugly about these bumpers?

I need to know what to look for, is it worth trying to save, how do i prevent the paint from cracking the paint? Or should i just go fiberglass and be done with this project once and for all?

What have you all experianced with them?

6ohs84.jpg

There is a website called mustangmonthly. You go there and go to how to. from there go to page 10 it will be the 6th one from the top

Yes, actually the one i have, the metal is even better shape. Im having it looked at today and will keep you posted

Is the metal that goes behind this in good shape? These are not that hard to repair, as there are several threads on here showing the repairs. If you decide you are going with the glass one and the metal is in good shape I would be interested in buying it. That is once you make your mind up. Personally I would repair the urethane one.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/search.php?action=results&sid=f228acd3fbc2d0966cbd23e3c9296efc&sortby=lastpost&order=desc
Tennessee- I have a bumper that is in fairly good shape That I would sell, if you are interested you can PM me- Thanks Dennis

Is the 71 Mach1 bumper urethane or rubber? Mine appearts to be thick rubber molded onto a heavy metal frame, I think of urethane as a removal bumper cover like on modern cars...or maybe my urethane cover was removed at some time and there's rubber supposed to be under it? In any case I redid min using the method others have outlined. It had several small cracks in the dried rubber, I then repainted it hotrod black rather than body color for the black out effect, also same with exterior mirrors. It's not perfect but it looks much better than it did and I like the black bumper better than matching red color.bumper.jpg

Is the metal that goes behind this in good shape? These are not that hard to repair, as there are several threads on here showing the repairs. If you decide you are going with the glass one and the metal is in good shape I would be interested in buying it. That is once you make your mind up. Personally I would repair the urethane one.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/search.php?action=results&sid=f228acd3fbc2d0966cbd23e3c9296efc&sortby=lastpost&order=desc
Tennessee- I have a bumper that is in fairly good shape That I would sell, if you are interested you can PM me- Thanks Dennis
I really dont NEED a bumper but if he was going another route and the metal was good I thought I would have it to hold onto just in case.

That bumper painted black looks good on that mustang.
Thanks, it was "partly" due to economics, a $10.00 rattle can of hotrod black after I repaired the weather cracks, or take it to a paint shop and have them try and match the body color! Plus if my repair job needs patching at a later date, it's just another $10.00 rattle can.

I thought of doing that on my car using a black rubberized undercoating on the theory that as the rubber/urethane under it could flex, then the top coat should be able to as well. I am currently testing the undercoating to see how it holds up to sunlight with a 4" square section painted on a scrap of metal and sitting on my deck.

I thought of doing that on my car using a black rubberized undercoating on the theory that as the rubber/urethane under it could flex, then the top coat should be able to as well. I am currently testing the undercoating to see how it holds up to sunlight with a 4" square section painted on a scrap of metal and sitting on my deck.
and it does not hold up all that well as it greys quickly

Check out the pics in my garage of the bumper being finished. The blackout section was shot woth SEM TRIM BLACK.

Back